Chapter 4: The Golden Moment!

(Mature Language 18 +; Double Update Chapter 4 and Chapter 5)

That night neither of them could sleep a wink. They kept tossing and turning around in their beds thinking about each other. And why not? Every single second, she was on his mind and he was on hers.

The way she paced back and forth the kitchen and living room setting their meals, the way she prayed to Lord Shiva in the temple, the way she kept stealing glances at him; everything about her was so perfect.

The way his jaw dropped down seeing her, the way he stood in front of her and asked her name, the way he tried to speak Marathi, the way he kept staring at her all evening; everything about him was so magical.

While he kept playing the little audio recording all night that he managed to get when she told him her name, she kept playing with the end of her blanket thinking about him. To say the little dash of redness took the much needed liberty and got comfortable on her soft cheeks would be such an understatement.

Just like she had subtly hinted him to drink warm milk before sleeping, he gulped it down his throat like a good little obedient boy. And now sitting in the centre of the bed, he was making plans of getting her alone with him.

Her revere of thoughts broke when she heard Usha badly coughing in her sleep. This often happened with her and that's the reason Mahima always ensured to put a glass of water under her bed.

"Mahima!"

As her step mother's sharp tone hit her ears, she stood up and sprinted off to their room wondering what this lady wanted now.

"Pani!" (Water!)

Knowing this woman was lazy enough to pick up the glass from under her bed, she heaved a deep sigh and passed her the glass saying, "He gya!" (Take this!)

Gulping down the glass, Usha tried to breathe slowly trying to compose herself while Mahima shifted her gaze to the floor and was lost in his thoughts.

"Kay jhala tula? Evadi lajti kaye?" (What happened to you? Why are you feeling so shy?) Usha asked in a super confused tone and why not? This was the first time she was seeing Mahima smiling all to herself and feeling so shy.

Of course to say Mahima's eyes popped out of their sockets hearing her step mother's question would be such an understatement

"Mi? Nai! Nai! Aisa kay nahi ahe." (Me? No! No! There is nothing like that.)

And what more could she say other than this little stammering? Could she tell this snake that yes, indeed she has seen the most handsome man in this world? Could she tell this fox that yes, indeed someone outside this village spoke to her like a normal person? Or could she tell this witch that yes, indeed she started feeling some sweet strange things inside her body since she saw Eric?

So, stammering and denying everything was the only and the safest option!

Even before she could say something else, Usha raised her hand with an irritated look playing on her face and gestured her to leave the room right away.

Going back in the living room, she lay down on the thick blanket on which she always slept and closed her eyes secretly thanking god for giving her a reason to smile heartily.

* * *