Chapter 37: Past can't be undone!

(Mature Language 18+; Double Updates: Read Chapter 36 first!)

That night sitting in his small one bedroom apartment, Nicholas kept staring at the documents on the table. Kitty was sleeping with her head in his lap. Her right hand was curled around his thigh while her left arm was wrapped tightly around the pink teddy bear that Mahima had gifted her that afternoon.

Gently running his fingers through her hair, he looked at his daughter and whispered softly, "You are so beautiful just like your mother. I wish she was with us."

Well his wife Preeti passed a few months back in a tragic accident. It was a drunk and hit accident. The driver was drunk and was speeding towards the park with no control. Fortunately Kitty was saved at the right time but his wife passed away.

Yes, seeing the speeding car heading towards her daughter, Preeti had pushed her away but was hit badly across a tree and was pronounced dead on spot.

Needless to say Nicholas didn't know how to react. Should he be thankful to god that his daughter was saved or should he be angry with him for snatching away his wife so brutally?

And since then he took great care of his daughter and loved her even more but still couldn't really fill the vacuum that Preeti left behind.

As his vision turned blurry, he averted his gaze and wiped his eyes. Getting up, he gently lifted Kitty and took her to the bedroom. Laying her down on the bed and tucking a blanket securely, he kissed her forehead and left the room to get back to his work.

Grabbing a bottle of cold beer from the small fridge, he went back to the couch in the small living area of the apartment. Sitting there, he picked up the large brown envelope and opened it. Pulling out the file and a stack of money, he stared at them for the longest time.

Running his fingers through the embossed letters of the Canadian dollar notes, he swallowed the lump in his throat and mentally chided his conscience to mind its own business. He knew what he was about to do was so wrong but he didn't have any other choice.

Heaving a deep sigh, he put the money in another envelope that was named 'Kitty' and set it back on the table. Clearing his throat, he took a sip of his beer before opening the file. And the instant he read the name and saw the photo, his eyes grew wide as saucers.

Name: Mahima Salvatore!

Spouse: Eric Salvatore!

This file held every single detail about Mahima like what she did the entire day, where she went and every other information that could help him in his work.

He couldn't believe how life was playing with him. Why? Just why on earth he had to do this and that too for such a caring person? If he wasn't in such a grave difficult situation, he would have never agreed to this in the first place. But now seeing Mahima's photo he was so close to saying 'NO' to this nasty task that the 'unknown' person had assigned him. But then again, one glance at 'Kitty' envelope and he knew he didn't have any other option. And he hated this so much.

He was still reading the file when suddenly his phone beeped. It was a text message from an unknown number.

From: Unknown

You better start your work at the earliest. We want results asap. And remember what is at stake if you fail to do it.

Of course his blood boiled reading the message. But knowing the ball was not in his court and he was bound, he cleared his throat and typed back.

To: Unknown

I am on it. And I know what is at stake. You don't have to remind me time and again.