Secret Santa

Summary: Reader and Spencer get each other in a gift exchange, but they have no idea what to get.

"Gather, come on, people!" Penelope clapped excitedly, the office heading over. "Welcome to the first annual Behavioral Analysis Unit Secret Santa!"

There was silence until Penelope glared at everyone, claps immediately ensuing.

"Better." Penelope cleared her throat. "In this hat is the name of everyone on the sixth floor, section chiefs, unit chiefs, interns, the whole load. You pick a name, and you get it! No trading! Deal?"

A few murmurs of approval.

"Okay, step up to the hat." She grinned.

You waited towards the back, not wanting to cut off any of the actual workers. Interns got enough crap from some agents, you didn't more.

"You!" Penelope pointed at you. "Y/N."

"Oh uh...sure!" You quickly walked over, picking a name without hesitation. "Oh god." Spencer Reid.

"Reid!"

The boy you had probably spoken to twice looked up from his book, walking over. He quietly took a name, glancing at it, and walking back to the desk.

"What the hell am I supposed to get him?" You whispered to yourself, glancing at the doctor.

"What the hell am I supposed to get her?" Spencer asked himself, pacing around his apartment. On the table lay the small slip of paper with your name on it.

Spencer would be lying if he said he didn't know you, he did...sort of. He built up a small mental profile of you after your first day where you ended up on the spot with a case because the secondary team to the BAU was out, and the BAU was busy doing paperwork. He watched the initial panic set in, adrenaline get rid of it, and watched as you directly spoke to the unsub over the phone to try and keep him from harming another victim.

He supposed that was the day where his interest in you sparked. From then on, the way you poured your coffee, how your shoes had doodles all over them, and the sharpie marks on your hands were fascinating to him.

So...in a way, Spencer knew you. But truthfully, he couldn't say five words to you without losing half of his IQ and forgetting how to speak English. Thus, his problem. He wanted a good gift for you, he wanted you to actually...like him, but he couldn't think of anything.

You thought he was cute, but he never talked to you—ever. So you sort of just gave up with Spencer, except the issue was...you still wanted him to show interest, but he never would if your gift was lame.

You exhaled. "If I was a genius, what would I want?"

You walked up and down the streets of shops, people bustling through with boxes and bags of various gifts and foods.

"Y/N!" Penelope smiled at you, waving.

"Penelope, hi!"

"Secret Santa?"

"Mhm."

"Oooh, me too!"

You sighed. "No idea what to get."

Penelope thought for a moment. "Who did you get?"

"Dr. Reid."

She gasped. "Reid?!"

"Mhm."

"He's easy, the guy loves books."

"But which one? He's read them all!"

Penelope pursed her lips. "That is a dilemma."

"I know," you sighed.

"Well, I wish you luck!"