The Red String

Summary: In a world where red strings link soulmates, Reader feels very strongly about their dislike towards the stigma the string has created and expresses it to Spencer.
u knew it was coming, so i present to you...a soulmate AU

The Red String of Fate: The two people connected by the red thread are destined lovers, regardless of place, time, or circumstances. This magical cord may stretch or tangle, but never break. When two people come to terms with their feelings for each other and are truly made for one another, the string appears and links their two pinkies together. Some get it when they're just kids, some in their teenage years, some later in life, but for Spencer...his still hadn't come at the age of 32. It felt like everyone else had one. Derek, Alex, JJ, even Rossi (although he wasn't sure who his linked to quite yet). Hotch's disappeared the day Haley died, and Penelope claimed she was meeting many people so she didn't make a mistake, is if fate really could mess up like that. But Spencer...he didn't have one. He had met pretty girls before, plenty, but none of them ever left him with that damn string, and it was starting to frustrate him. He didn't show it, but he longed to have someone there. Someone to talk to, be himself with 100% of the time, just...someone. But apparently it couldn't be anyone unless the string came.

"Morning," you mumbled, placing a few folders on the agents' desks.

"What are these?" Spencer asked, glancing up at you.

"Reports from the uppers." He exhaled. "Sorry..."

"It's fine."

You leaned in. "I gave Derek extra as revenge for the prank he pulled last week, you're welcome."

Spencer grinned. "Thank you."

"I'll see you at Garcia's."

He waved. "See you."

Penelope ran over. "Did she say she was coming to my get together?!"

Spencer chuckled. "She's coming."

"Yay!" She paused. "What kind of wine is best..?"

"I'd ask Rossi."

"Rossi!" She ran off.

You loved Penelope, you loved the team, but you detested these parties. First of all, drinking in front of the people you are technically under in the bureau is not a good idea, then there's the fact that everyone else gets drunk so you end up sitting in the corner trying not to get puked on, plus Penelope tried to set you up with every available person there to see if your string would appear. "Penelope, I'm good."

"My friend said he's—" She hiccuped. "—super good in bed—"

"I'm fine!" You whirled around, quickly walking off. You walked into the kitchen, sighing.

"Penelope and her matchmaking?" Spencer appeared in the doorway.

You nodded, groaning. "Does she not understand that I'm not interested?"

He shrugged. "I don't think anyone does."

"Like geez, isn't there more to life than this whole soulmate thing?" You covered your ears, music pounding.

"Do you wanna just go outside?"

"Do you mind? It's kinda stuffy."

"I'll bring the good wine."

You snickered. "Thanks." The two of you walked to the balcony, just sitting on the floor and looking over the city in the distance.

"Your point about there being more to life than soulmates..."

"Right!" You cleared your throat. "It's just...you already know how it ends."

"Is that a bad thing?" Spencer tilted his head, curious about what you had to say.

"Being in love is supposed to give you butterflies, you can't get butterflies with constant certainty. You get them because you don't know, you don't know if you'll break up, get married, get back together, whatever. I don't want to get stuck in a relationship that doesn't feel like one just because some stupid string tells me I have to." He nodded, listening to your words. "Figuring out that someone is your soulmate should be something that you do on your own. If it means you have to fight, break up, kiss, make up, and do all those weird ass things that they do on TV then who cares?! You'll know if that person is the one by the end of it, but instead we know the moment we feel a small attraction and realize it."

He could listen to you talk all day. "It ruins the raw aspect of being with someone."

You nodded. "I don't want to feel obligated to rush my relationship with someone just because the universe says we'll be together forever."

He shifted, facing you. "I don't think I've ever agreed with someone more."

You smiled slightly. "To being slightly sane." You held up a glass. Spencer laughed quietly, clinking his to yours. You had never been too close with Spencer, you called it a nice friendship but not close enough to know a lot. That night was different, you were laughing, sharing random stories you had never told, and truly getting to know and understand the other. It was the most real you've felt with another person in years. "Do you know what he did next?!" Your cheeks were slightly pink from the alcohol.

"What?"

You stood up, putting your hair around your chin to make a fake beard. "NO, Y/N! YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!" You made a terrible attempt at your old principal's accent, making a tipsy Spencer burst into laughter. You groaned, laying your back on the concrete. "He was a jerk."

"Sounds like it." Spencer laid down too.

"You're not a jerk, you're cool."

"Much appreciated." You moved your neck, your eyes meeting. The small breeze running through the unruly curls, how his soft eyes twinkled in the reflection of the moonlight, everything. Suddenly, you felt your hand get pulled and shot up. You realized Spencer did the same, both of you looking at each other at the same time. A small red thread tied your pinkies together.

"Well shit."

"I am way too tipsy for this," he muttered.

"Are you...are we?"

"I think so..."

"Cool." You both glanced around nervously.

"I-I agree with everything you said so...maybe we can just start with coffee this weekend?"

You gave him a half smile. "Coffee sounds wonderful." You both glanced down at the red string between your hands again, smiling at each other like idiots...half-drunk idiots.