Meet The Parents

Summary: Spencer wants to meet Reader's parents, unaware of the reason they're adamant on not introducing the two.
you can imagine the parents are different genders/orientations if you want, it just got confusing trying to write without specific pronouns :)

Warning: Mentions of weight gain

"Hey."

"Spence, hi!" You tossed your book to the side, hugging your boyfriend tightly. "How did the case go?"

"Pretty good for a murder investigation."

You snickered, pecking his lips. "I'm glad."

"I uh I was sort of thinking about you—us—a lot during the case."

"Can I ask why..?"

"When we get these cases involving couples, I always feel like I need to truly relish the time I have with you. You know?"

"Maybe?"

"What I'm trying to say is...I want things between us to get more serious."

You paused. "Spencer, you're acting like we haven't slept together and stuff."

He coughed. "I uh I meant I want to meet your parents. For real. I know you haven't met my mom, but you know her situation and—"

"Busy, I can't."

"But—"

"Hey uh, I need to make a call to my boss. See you!" You quickly ran off, the boy frowning.

"I just don't get it."

"Get what?" Derek flipped through a few more folders.

"I've introduced Y/N to you guys and told her about my mom, but she won't even give me a detail about her parents. I just...why can't I meet them?"

"I'm sure there's a reason."

"She isn't giving me one, it just makes me feel like..."

"Like?"

Spencer exhaled. "Like she's ashamed to be with me."

"Aww. C'mon now, kid. You think anyone could be ashamed to be with someone as cool as you?"

"You think I'm cool?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Cool is subjective, but you get my point."

"Gee, thanks."

"What I'm saying is that Y/N and you are solid, she would never feel that way about you. The girl loves you, and you love her."

Spencer nodded. "Thanks."

"Just talk to her, you always tell me about communication. Try it." Derek patted him on the shoulder, walking off.

"Communication..."

"So yeah, I just figured I'd not walk the same route home. A guy picking up subway rats and kissing them wasn't exactly a pleasant morning sight."

Spencer chuckled, taking another bite of food. "I can image."

A small silence settled.

"Y/N?"

"Mhm?"

"Are you embarrassed to be with me?"

You nearly choked on your food. "Why on earth would you ever think that?"

"You never want me to meet your parents, it's almost like you're ashamed to tell them about me."

"Spence, no—"

"Just let me meet them," he sighed.

You bit your lip. "Fine."