Going For Gold

Summary: Spencer's childhood friend, Reader, is an Olympian, and he goes to watch them. (I had to, I love the Olympics lol)

"Reid! Reid!"

"Uh hey, Garcia."

"I have a proposition for you."

The boy put his book down. "A proposition?"

"So you know how Derek has that temporary duty thing heading security down at the Olympics in London this year?"

"Mhm."

"Emily got me a ticket! So I'm coming with!"

"That's awesome, Garcia!" He paused. "Not to be rude but uh...why are you telling me this?"

"Because she got a second one for you. She said she remembered? I don't know what that means but...here!"

Spencer's mouth was open.

"You watching sports? For real?" Emily raised a brow.

"It's complicated."

"Tell meeeee."

"Long story."

"Stakeouts take hours, tell me."

Spencer sighed. "I was good friends with this girl when I was a kid, and she was just the most amazing runner. Like the one who could outrun every boy in school, won every local race, the whole thing. She uh she made the Olympic Trials, and I'm gonna watch her on TV. No big deal."

"Reid! That's incredible! Do you think she'll make it?"

"I don't know," he breathed. "She was injured during the last set of trials and wasn't able to compete when she was 18 because of school stuff, so I have no idea how she'll do. She's sort of the dark horse."

"I wish her the best of luck. What's her name?"

"Y/N L/N."

"I'm sure America will know her name by the end of the summer."

Spencer chuckled. "If she makes it."

"And if she does, we'll find a way to get you there."

Spencer vividly remembered watching you race the preliminary race, how you spent 3 of the 4 laps at the back end then booked it into the fifth spot at the very end, sending you through to the finals.

He would never forget seeing you in the finals. How you were once again in last but crept up each lap until you shot past most girls and finished within .2 seconds of the first and second girls, taking the final spot to send you to London.

How every announcer was at a loss for words as this unknown girl beat out various champions, how you broke down, tears of joy streaming down your cheeks, how everyone seemed to hug you, cheer for you. He saw the same smile that you used to flash when you outran one of the boys in school.

"Spencer Reid."

"Y/N, hey..."

"I cannot believe you're here."

"Knowing the head of the Interpol office here has its perks."

"I also can't believe the head of Interpol is going to cheer me on."

He chuckled. "No pressure."

"Oh yeah, zero pressure," you joked. "Thank you...for coming."

"I wouldn't miss this for the world. The nerd squad sticks together."