The Question

Summary: Reader is in the hospital to see their boyfriend, Spencer, after getting shot on a case, but the bad day ends up not being so awful after all.
Warning: Hospitals, fear of death, mention of being shot

Slow motion. Obviously nothing really moved in slow motion in reality, but it felt like everything was. Doctors, nurses, patients, family members, everyone. All you could do was sit there, aimlessly staring at the clock hand that appeared to be slower than any snail could possibly be. It was killing you, the not knowing. Every time a doctor emerged from the ICU, you looked up anxiously, praying it was news about Spencer. It never was. Even worse, you couldn't ignore the sympathetic looks you got from his team. They wanted to talk to you, comfort you, but what do you say to someone whose boyfriend of 3 years might be dead? As the night progressed, the team was forced to leave and continue the case, but Alex remained. She walked over, sitting down next you, wordlessly intertwining your hands. "I'm so sorry."

"For what?" You asked gently.

"It should've been me...he blocked the shot from hitting me."

"You can't blame yourself for that," you whispered.

"If something were to happen—" She choked on her words. "I'm sorry."

"Alex, you couldn't control what Spencer did. And believe me, I'd rather see you both make it even if it means he has to get hurt then lose one of you." Tears filled your eyes.

"Are you here for Dr. Reid?" Your head whirled around as you stood up.

"Yes...I'm his coworker, this is his girlfriend."

"He's lucky. Two millimeters to the right, and the bullet would've torn through the carotid artery." Your breath hitched in your throat. "It nicked some smaller vessels, but we stopped the bleeding. You can see him now."

Relief. Like a wave crashing over your head, striking you in a matter of seconds. "Come on, Y/N." Alex too, your hand the two of you entering his room. He was asleep. You always admired him when he slept, how peaceful his usually busy mind was, but this wasn't the same.

"When will he wake up?" You asked quietly.

"We're not sure yet."

You nodded. "I understand."

"I'll leave you both be."

Penelope joined you and Alex, all three just staring at the sleeping boy. "He'll wake up and see the good doctor."

"That's sweet, Penny."

She swallowed, rubbing your arm. "He's gonna be okay." She moved a chair to the side of his bed. "Be the first thing he sees."

You giggled. "Alright." You ended up falling asleep after sitting there for so long.

"Y/N," a voice whispered, nudging you.

"Mm?"

"Look." Alex motioned to Spencer, who gave you a weak smile.

You stood up, your eyes already getting teary. "Hi..."

"Hey."

"How are you..?"

"I've been better." You laughed softly, making him smile. "I missed your laugh."

You wordlessly held his hand. "I'm so happy you're okay."Alex and Penelope looked at Spencer, both opting you leave you two alone.

"I'm sorry, Y/N."

"Don't do that right now, I'll get mad at you later. I'm just happy you're okay."

He smiled softly at you. "Come here."

You loosely hugged him, his hands weakly meeting your back. "I love you."

"I love you too." You sat back down, pulling the chair over. "This isn't really how I wanted to do this but..." You furled your brows as he motioned to his pants. You handed them to him, his hand carefully moving into the pocket.

"Spencer, what—" Your eyes widened as he removed a small black box. "Oh my god."

"Y/N, I love you. I have loved you since the day we met, and I know it took me 2 years to realize it, but you mean everything to me." He paused, observing your current reaction. "There's an old buddhist saying that when you meet your soulmate, remember that the act to bring you together was 500 years in the making. So, always appreciate and be kind to each other." You were crying now. "Y/N Y/L/N, you are my soulmate, and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. So please...will you even consider marrying me?" You covered your mouth, tears flowing down your cheeks. "I uh I can't get the box open—"

"Yes." Spencer looked at you, his eyes widening. "Yes, I will marry you!"

He laughed. "We're gonna get married?"

You nodded. "As long as you don't almost die on me again."

"I'll try." He handed you the box. "Don't put the ring on, I wanna do it."

You giggled through tears as he slid the small piece of jewelry on your hand. "How long have you been planning this?"

"Since that night when we were watching Henry, I realized I wanted to marry you and start a family with you."

"Spencer, that was 2 years ago!"

"I know." He held your hand. "I was waiting for the right time."

You wiped your eyes. "Can we get married now?"

"No way."

"Why not? I'm sure there can be a priest or something—"

"You're going to get to wear a dress and everything."

"I don't care about that."

"You do, you're just emotional."

"No shit."

"I promise, we will get married as soon as we can."

You nodded slowly. "Okay."

"My fiancée."

You giggled. "I like it."

"Future Mrs. Reid."

"I like that more."

"So do I," he whispered, rubbing circles on your hand. After the most stressful hours of both of your lives, sitting there together, engaged, and happy in the other's company made everything seem...alright. Everything was going to be alright.

hiiiii omg ok we hit 1k reads last night wowowowow that's so cool!!! i remember writing the first few chapters of this and got excited when i got 2 reads but then learned they were both mine checking the story in reader view lmao but then the numbers started to go up and now it's 1k! so tysm for reading, commenting, voting, etc. it motivates me to write and makes me happy :) i won't be stopping these anytime soon cus i rlly enjoy writing them, so feel free to request some stuff! that's all, thanks again :))))

-soo