Chapter Thirty Nine

ابدأ من البداية

Oscar:*chuckles*Yeah, but he's fine, shit went down, but I think it got his mind right. He even apologized.

Me:You don't understand how happy this actually makes me, Os. Hurry up and get everything on the truck so we can get out of here. I'm ready to focus on this new chapter.

Oscar:Yeah, me too...

He tapers off his response and I frown.

Oscar:Babe, I gotta go.

Me:Okay, I love you.

Oscar:*shaky* You know I love you.

Before I can ask him what he meant I hear a gunshot and the phone hangs up, I cover my mouth my mom grabs my hand but I yank her out of the store and to the car, before I know it I'm speeding down the streets getting to him.

Mom:Amara what the hell is going on!

Me:I heard a gun shot! And- and Oscar said he loved me.

Mom:Amara-

Me:No, he didn't say it like he normally does, ma.

Mom:Calm down maybe it was just a car back firing, you know how those things sound over the phone.

I shake my head and speed up, God damn we had to be in the downtown area of all days. I knew something wasn't right.

By the time, I make it to the house its cut off with police an ambulance driving off. I see Cesar and I rush towards him only for a cop to stop me.

Me:That's my brother in law, this is my Fiancé's house! Where is he!

Cesar:Amara!

The cop let's me and my mom through and I grab Cesar, I stare in his eyes and I shake my head the tears breaking past my eyelids.

Me:No, no, no, no no! That's not him in that ambulance that's not him, Cesar tell me that's not him!

Cesar:It was a drive by, I- I didn't see who did it he was coming out here to get the tequila when I heard gun shoots and him scream.

Mom:We need to meet him there. Come on.

She grabs me and we rush to the car, she gets in the driver seat and we pull off. But I just clench the cross on my neck, I can't think the prayer out in my head so I say it out loud, my sobs taking over some words.

I don't know how long I've been praying but all I know is that I end up in the waiting room, pacing the floor my mom and Cesar sitting together, her eyes on me her arms wrapped around Cesar.

He has to pull through, he's strong, he's dealt with a lot of mess, he's made it out he can't quit now. He doesn't deserve that. He's too sweet to have his life end so shortly. He's done all this for his brother and kids. He's dealt with being a parent while a kid, going to jail, killing people who've done wrong, being in a gang, risking his life multiple times, getting beat down, getting hated, just for him to turn his life around just to get shot when he's about to go? Nah, God ain't about to do him like that, he can't. He doesn't deserve this, he deserves the life he's trying to build not this. Anything but this crap.

Mom:Amara.

I glance at her and she stands walking to me.

Mom:You've been doing that for four hours now. Sit down you need the rest.

Me:I can't, I know what I should be doing but I can't. Not until I hear he's going to be okay.

I see the tears in her eyes and I shake my head.