82 - Broke

Rylee was startled awake by her phone vibrating on her chest. When she went to grab for it, she missed and ended up accidentally throwing it to the hardwood floor.

"Shit, fuck." Rylee said out loud to herself, sitting up on her elbow.

Her phone laid face down on the ground and she hesitated to pick it up, expecting the worst. She took a deep breath and grabbed it, flipping it over to see the screen completely shattered.

Shit shit shit.

Even turned upwards, the screen remained black.

She laid back down, head plopping on the throw pillow behind her, frustrated. She turned her head to see the clock on the wall read 12:00.

Shit it was already noon. The time change and jet lag had completely thrown Rylee off. There was no way she'd be able to make it out to get a new phone and make it to work on time.

By the time she got up and ready, it was 2:00 pm and she was slipping into her shoes to run out the door.

On her way to the subway platform she envied Alexa. She had taken the day off so she didn't have to go through what Rylee was going through right now. Jet lag. Ass drag. And everything in between.

She eventually got to Ruby's and made a beeline to the kitchen to start a carafe of coffee. A few minutes later, Johnny popped in.

"Hey! Welcome back! What did LA do to you? You look like shit." Johnny laughed.

"Wow. Hi to you too. LA didn't do this, it's in my blood. Obviously." Rylee laughed as she watched the carafe slowly fill.

"Well, I'm glad you're back, we've missed you."

"It's good to be back, and to get back into the swing of things."

"I've gotta go fill out some shit in the back, if you need me you know where I'll be." Johnny commented quickly as he left through the swinging kitchen door with a wave.

——————————

Four hours into her shift, Rylee's coworker, Maggie, yelled down the bar, "Ay Ry! Phone for you!"

"Thanks, be there in a sec!" Rylee yelled back over the banter of the crowd. She finished throwing together a whiskey sour for the customer across from her and then did a quick jog down to the other end of the bar to grab the phone.

"Hi, this is Rylee," she said when she picked up the receiver.

"Hey. Good. You're not dead," the male voice on the other end of the line said, seeming relieved.

"Hey baby! I forgot, I wanted to call you. I accidentally broke my phone this morning." Rylee stated as she took the phone into the kitchen for some quiet.

"Oh no, what happened?" Sebastian asked.

"I fell asleep on the couch when I got home and when I woke up it fell off my chest onto the floor and basically shattered." Rylee pouted into the phone.

"Your chest and I will have to have a long talk when I get home." Sebastian almost whispered. Somehow, Rylee could just hear Sebastian smirk through the phone, but she still stifled a laugh at his comment.

"Isn't it like...noon over there? I thought you had interviews today?" Rylee asked.

"It is, and we do...I snuck out into the hall to try and call you...Not gonna lie. I may have got worried when I didn't hear from you today. I texted Alexa to see if she had talked to you and when she said no...I don't know. My brain just went into overdrive."