66 - The Catcher in the Rye

A few hours later, Sebastian slowly woke up from his morphine stupor and his leg felt like it was throbbing. It took him a moment to remember he was in the hospital.

He looked around quickly and saw Rylee. She was sitting in a chair, but she was laying with her head on her arms on the side of the bed, fast asleep. She had a book closed in her lap. Her backs going to feel like shit when she wakes up.

He gently ran his fingers through her hair, causing her to stir.

"Hey, baby." Sebastian said as he ran his fingers through her hair again.

"Hey you," Rylee said, half awake, "how do you feel?" She sat up and Sebastian dropped his hand. She tried to stretch her arms above her head but she winced a bit when she got fully stretched out.

"Eh. Could be better. Was gonna call a nurse but I can't find the button." Sebastian said matter of factly. Rylee felt bad that the button wasn't readily available for him. After following the cord from the wall, she reached back behind his pillow and pulled out the button, pushing it for him.

"Thanks love." Sebastian winced, leaning back into the pillow again, sucking in a breath through his teeth.

"What's your 1-10?" Rylee asked quietly.

"Like 8," Sebastian frowned, closing his eyes to try and relax and stop tensing his leg muscles.

"Anything I can do to help?" Rylee asked, patting his arm lightly.

Sebastian shook his head, he didn't realize he was holding his breath. "Nah, just hoping for some more morphine."

Rylee nodded as a nurse walked in, "Hello! I'm Lexi! I'll be your nurse for the rest of tonight and into tomorrow. How are you doing?" Lexi asked as she grabbed his chart and squiggled in a few numbers from the machines behind Sebastian.

"Okay...Legs definitely feelin' rough though."

"What would you say on a  1-10?" Lexi asked, starting to gently put pressure on different areas of Sebastian's leg.

"8." He stuttered out as he sucked air through his teeth again when Lexi touched down near his ankle, applying a little pressure.

"Ooof. Yeah. Let's get you hooked up." Lexi said as she left for a moment to grab a new small tube of morphine to attach to his IV. "This one will get you through tonight and then we'll see how you feel in the morning, alrighty? If you need anything, feel free to buzz me." She smiled, immediately hooking up the morphine drip.

"Thanks Lexi." Sebastian made sure to say before she left.

Lexi did a small two finger salute and winked as she left the room.

There were a few beats of silence and then Sebastian broke it, "Hey..."

"Hi," Rylee replied sweetly.

"Watcha reading?" Sebastian asked, trying to distract himself from the pain. "Haven't seen you with that one yet."

"Yeah I brought a different book. I had A Separate Peace in my hand this morning but it hit a little too close to home with the whole leg breaking thing," she stifled a small laugh, "But I needed a change of pace. So I found an oldie but a goodie. The Catcher in the Rye." She patted the book in her lap.

"Oh, good choice. I haven't read that one in a long time." Sebastian stated. His pain was starting to dissipate as was his focus.

"Want me to read some out loud? Just relax and listen?" Rylee suggested holding up the book.

"That sounds perfect." Sebastian said, closing his eyes to aid in simply listening.

Rylee flipped open her book to the very first page of chapter one. She was only a chapter in So she figured she could just start over.