Part 2: Chapter 43

Start from the beginning

"It's been so fucking long I'm surprised you still remember me," I said.

"How could I forget?" She pulled away. "Oh my god. I was not expecting to see you here," she hugged me again and I squeezed her even tighter. Besides Cairo, April was like the first person to actually talk to me back when I transferred schools. On my first day, she introduced me to everybody and she even let me sit with her at lunch. We may not be super super close, but this girl is a real one. I've missed her so much.

"Damn, is that Asha?" A voice spoke up. April stepped to the side and Brandon damn near lifted me off the ground. I guess he was still as goofy as ever. I started blushing hella hard. It felt weird to see them again after so long. I was now like a completely different Asha from the Asha they knew in high school.

Derek was next, but of course, he was gentle with his hug. I've missed his calm demeanor. And it still amazes me how he and Ashanti, who are total opposites, dated in high school. Her crazy ass should've stuck with him instead of her current baby daddy.

I slowly looked around for Cairo, but I didn't see him. I released the breath that I was holding and my body completely relaxed. I knew that we would eventually meet, but thankfully it wasn't at this exact moment.

"Where did Cairo go?" Briana asked. Everybody shrugged.

Briana introduced me to a few of her other friends. They were all from the same medical program that she was in. They seemed cool I guess. They weren't my friends, so it really didn't matter what I thought of them. When all the introductions were out the way, I went back over to where April was sitting. The drinks finally came, so I grabbed all four of my shots and took each of them to the head. My only plan tonight was to get as close to fucked up as possible without overdoing it.

A second round of drinks appeared soon after the first, including a big ass bottle of something. As time went by, I completely forgot where the hell I was. I was just glad to be out with people I considered my good friends. I didn't have to look over my shoulders every few minutes or worry about my responsibilities.

"Hi friend," I yelled over the music. I sat down on April's lap with a near-empty drink in hand. I tipped the rest of it back, and placed the empty glass on the table.

"I'm so proud of you April. You're a defense attorney, right?" I had to make sure.

"No, not yet. It's still a work in progress," she said.

"I mean, but still that's so fucking cool. I love seeing Black women succeed."

"You are drunk," she laughed.

"And why aren't you?" I raised my brow at her.

"I'm tipsy," she shrugged. I smacked my teeth.

"That's not enough. I know you not a lightweight." I narrowed my eyes at her. "You better not be a lightweight," I said and she burst out laughing.

"Don't laugh." I got comfortable in her lap. "All that law shit got you so uptight. You can't just say, 'I'm tipsy,' and expect me to just be like whatever. I need a little bit more from you, especially since it's been years since the last time we hung out."

"Oh, you are definitely drunk. I've never seen you like this." I held my finger up to her lips in a hushing motion.

"I'm not that drunk. I know my limit," I whispered in her ear. I then slid off her lap and into the next person's. It was one of Briana's friends. She was tryna talk to Brandon. She looked surprised to see me.

"Oops, my bad girl," I said to her.

"Asha, you good?" Brandon asked me. I looked up at him and I couldn't help but smile. This felt too nostalgic.