Part 2: Chapter 39

Start from the beginning

"Oh, I'm not sure if I want anything."

"You're sitting at the bar, you gotta want something," he teased.

"I don't know," I shrugged. "I'm off work, but I have to pick up my kid later."

"No, I get it. It's just—"

He was cut off by the waitress setting my plate down in front of me. "Do you need anything else?" She asked, and I said no. She left and the bartender continued where he left off.

"Just let me know if you want anything." I nodded, looking down at his name tag. It read Dean.

"Thank you Dean," I smiled lightly.

"Not a problem..." He paused.

"Asha," I said. I was shocked when he reached over the counter and extended his hand for me to take. I reluctantly took it, and he gave me a rather gentle shake. I eyed Dean curiously. I mean, he was cute...and White, but definitely cute. He had a buzz cut, a short full beard, dark hair, light brown eyes, and a nice build...like really nice.

I fumbled for my phone once I realized that it was vibrating on the table. "Hello?"

"Hey, do you have a second to talk?"

"Yea, I mean I'm about to eat if that's okay."

"Of course." My dad's tone seemed kind of serious.

"Is something wrong?" I asked.

"You still haven't answered my question."

"What do you mean?"

"I want to fly my daughter down to Florida so that I can meet the grown up version of her, and maybe spend some time with my grandchild. Is that too much to ask? I've missed out on a lot and I want to start making up for it."

"Can't you come here? I'll be honest in saying that I don't want to get stranded down in Florida. I'd be more comfortable if you came here or something."

"Asha, I'm not the only one that wants to see you. What do I have to do to get you down here? I'll pay for both you and Imani a round trip ticket. If you want to stay in a hotel, I'll pay for that too. Food, activities, I'll pay for it all."

"Da—" I cleared my throat. I still wasn't sure what to call him yet. I mean, I do refer to him as my dad, but to call him my dad aloud...to actually address him in that way makes me feel weird. Anyway...

I cleared my throat again, "You don't have to do that. You don't have to pay for us," I mumbled.

"Yes I do. I need to make things right. A lot of shit has been weighing on my conscious, and I'm not above begging my daughter to come see me."

"I don't know. I want to, but—"

"How about I give you a day to think about it?"

"A day?" I frowned.

"Yes, and you can call me when you have an answer. And if you don't call me, I'll call you."

"Okay, I'll think about it," I said even though there wasn't really much to think about. I did want to see him—that I already knew. But, I was just more nervous than anything else.