Chapter 36

~Stella's POV~
We just got to shift while Brett, Dawson, and I were talking in the locker room before briefing.
"Hey, How much longer are you guys on ambo for? Boden hasn't told me anything about my new partner once you guys are done." Brett asked Gabby and I.
"Well... I'm 34 weeks right now. And I finish up in about two weeks. Then I'm at home for about a year." I told Brett.
"I'm taking a desk job when Stella leaves. Then when I'm around 35 weeks, I'm going to stay at home for about a year to a year and a half." Gabby explained.
"Oh ok.. it's weird that Chief hasn't told me who my new partner is..." Brett told me.
"Maybe he hasn't found one yet... he still has 2 weeks so give him just a little more time." Gabby told her.
"Yea you're right, I shouldn't worry about it too much." Brett said.

-Later-
It was a little while later and Kelly and I were hanging out on the apparatus floor.
"You excited to be done working for a year?" Kelly asked me.
"Yes and no... I love working. But I'm getting too uncomfortable for this. And I know I'll love being a mom." I told him.
"Well.. if I can guarantee one thing.. it's that you will be the best mom." He smiled at me.
"I love you." I told him back.
Ambo 61 person in distress 89 Lincoln ave.
"That's me." I told him as I got up and ran to ambo. Or walked fast.

We got to the scene. It was a young girl. She looked about 14. She looked homeless.
"Hey sweetie.. what's your name?" I asked as I went over to look at her.
She wouldn't respond and was barely conscious.
"Brett, I need the monitor now." I told her.
We got the monitor and hooked her up.
"Her blood pressure is very low... her heart rate is dropping." Brett said. "Dawson start compressions."
I checked her body and she wasn't bleeding from anywhere. Then I noticed blood on her leggings. She was wearing grey leggings.
I grabbed scissors and cut her pants off.
"This girl... just gave birth." I said shocked.
"What? No way..." Dawson said as she stabilized the girl.
"Yea.. look." I told her. Dawson came over to me and saw what I was looking at.
"But.. where's the baby?" Brett asked.
"Dawson... grab the OB kit." I said.
Dawson and I got up and looked around. We looked around for about a minute when I saw something in an alley.
"Dawson... I think I found something." I said walking up to the thing. It was a backpack but it was full and wet.
"Oh... my... god." I said as I opened it up.
We found the baby. She wasn't breathing.
"Here.. let me." Dawson said she got the supplies out and put suctions on the baby's mouth.
"Come on... come on... give a breath for us baby girl..." I said as Dawson was trying to help this baby breathe.
After a minute we heard cries coming from the baby.
We got the baby back to Brett.
"Let's get to Med.. that baby needs a sterile environment and this girl needs proper treatment... she has a lot to wake up to right now.." Brett said.

We got to Med.
Brett wheeled in the girl.
"Female, 14 years, gave birth on the street, left her baby in a backpack about a block away from where we found her." Brett said as she wheeled her in.
"Alright.. get her into trauma 2." Maggie said.
"Where's the baby?" Dr. Manning asked as Dr. Halstead went with the girl.
"She's right here." Gabby said. She had the baby wrapped up in a spare sheet for the ambo gurney.
Dr. Manning took the baby and we filled out the paper work and headed back to the firehouse.

-back at the firehouse-
Dawson, Brett, and I were on our bunks chatting about the crazy call we just had.
"That was.. insane.. I mean how could a girl give birth, and then abandon her baby like that? She left her in that backpack to die..." I said.
"Maybe she didn't know she was pregnant.. and she got overwhelmed and scared. Wasn't thinking straight..." Brett said.
"Yea but.. we were maybe...2 minutes from the hospital, walking distance... you could see med from where we were... maybe she was trying to go to the hospital..." Dawson said.
"Yea but.. it still doesn't explain why she would abandon her baby like that... she left the baby in a dirty backpack right next to a dumpster... that just doesn't sit right with me..." I said.

A little while later Kelly and I were in his quarters talking, laying down on his bunk.
"I talked to Boden today. I get the first 2 and a half weeks off when you have Brielle. Instead of just 2 weeks, so it gives me an extra 3-4 days with you guys." He told me.
"That's great babe! I'm pretty sure you'll be happy to be back on shift. That's probably the only time you'll be able to get sleep!" I laughed.
"Yea well.. sleep or no sleep. I'll still take care of you and Brielle." He hugged me tight.
"I love you." I told him.
"Woah... if she becomes a firefighter. She'll be very good. And strong." Kelly laughed as Brielle kicked super hard.
"Yea well.. not so fun when you're the punching bag." I chuckled as I tried to get comfortable.
"Here.." he said. He moved up a bit. So I would be laying on his stomach. He put one of his pillows on his stomach so I would be comfortable and put the blanket over us.
"Thanks babe." I said as I got comfortable.
We talked for a little bit more until we dozed off. We got a couple more calls and continued with shift.

❤️‍🔥❤️‍🔥❤️‍🔥❤️‍🔥❤️‍🔥