Chapter 36 - The surprise

*  *  *

We started off by talking, just about things going on in the past few weeks of school. We watched a few movies, although I focused more on my twitter. Now that I’d broken up with Ryan, the hate had died down. In fact, there were now tweets about me along the lines of ‘This isn’t the end of Blair Everty.’ It lightened my mood.
Also, Ryan hadn’t tweeted about me at all. It was I who broke it to his fans, saying we were no longer together. It had killed me to do it, because as much as I wanted him back, I knew he was no good for me.
We were now jumping on Layla’s bed, All Time Low pumping through the stereo. We danced, and we’d been dancing for about an hour. She had Nothing Personal on, and Damned If I Do Ya (Damned If I Don’t) was on full blast. I had to admit, Layla seemed like the typical girl -- Nails needing to be perfect, hair always glamorous, never go out without makeup. But her music taste was so much different. (A/N hehe this is basically me with the makeup and the music taste ;-) But HCR will always be my favourite band, I just love these ones too! -> ) Her favourite band was All Time Low, followed by Pierce The Veil and Sleeping With Sirens. She also liked a band from Sydney, Australia. They’re name was Masketta Fall, and after listening to their music today It showed me that they were really good.
“Oh, oh, oh, how was I supposed to know,” we sung together, and it was completely out of tune. Not my normal singing, just the kind of singing that friends did together, oblivious to the world around them. “That you were, oh, oh, over me, I think that I should go. Go! Something’s telling me to leave but I won’t. ‘Cause I’m damned if I do ya, damned if I don’t!”
We laughed and dropped down onto the bed, and my phone vibrated in my pocket. Layla noticed and paused the music.
“Hello?” I greeted.
“Blair, hey, you weren’t picking up,” Cass replied from the other end.
I looked at the clock above Layla’s door. I’d called Cass around 6, and it was 10 now. “Oh, shit! I’m sorry. I just got distracted. What’s up?”
“Well, could we maybe meet up? I have something to talk to you about.”
“I- uh… sure. Where abouts babe?”
“Meet at the back of Café Supro, I’m still there.”
“At the back?”
“Yeah, go down the side alley and I’ll be right there in front of you, alright?”
I sighed. Something wasn’t right about this, but she was my best friend. I trusted her. I had to. “Sure, I’ll be there in ten.”
I hung up and looked over at Layla, who was playing with her hair. “Hey, I have to go meet up with Cass, something’s up with her.” I frowned. But what?
“Oh, yeah, sure. Here, I’ll walk you out,” Layla replied, a polite grin on her face. She jumped of the bed and grabbed my hands, pulling me up. Surprising myself, I wrapped my arms around her and lifted her up, twirling her around with ease. She giggled and tucked her thin legs around me.
“Thanks for tonight, I needed some girl time. Gossip, music, the whole lot. It’s great to have a friend like you,” I admitted while setting her down. She pulled me into another hug before leading me to the door.
“You sure you’ll be alright walking?” Layla asked worriedly. “It’s pretty dark out.”
“S’all good, the Café’s just around the block. I’ll see you tomorrow!” I yelled as I made my way down the path and onto the walkway.
“Bye!” She called after me, and then continued to watch as I walked down the footpath, making sure I would be alright walking alone. I heard her door close when I was past her house, and I quickened my pace, suddenly feeling very paranoid.
I reached the café in ten minutes exactly, swallowing hard as I stepped down the dark alley to find Cass. My shadow creeped down the wall next to me, but it didn’t reassure me like it did when I was little. My eyes adjusted, but there was no one here.
“Cass?” I whispered loudly. “Where are yo-“
My words were cut off when someone yanked at my arms, pulling me into their hold. I struggled but I couldn’t break free, so I did the only thing I could. I kicked at their legs, their knees, anywhere. There was a groan as I reached the guys privates, and he doubled over, letting me go. I walked over to him, fist raised in the air. He looked up, and I saw his face. My jaw dropped.
Nash?!” I exclaimed, dropping my hand. “What the fuck!”
“Blair, listen,” he warned, reaching his hand out to calm me down. My heart was racing, my breathing uneven and heavy.
“What?” I growled.
“We have a surprise for you. Please just come with me. Don’t make this hard.”
“But I was supposed to meet Cass here, what the hell are you doing here?!”
“That’s the thing. Cass organized the surprise. Please, let’s go. Ow,” he clutched his pants, obviously still feeling the effect of my kick. I suddenly knew what this was about: Ryan.
As much as I wanted to run away, to never go back to him, I found myself nodding. “Okay, let’s go.”

We’d walked to the park, not speaking a word to each other. When we’d arrived, I saw candles. They formed a path, two rows stretching to the middle of the park. I frowned, confused.
“Well, this is me done. Follow the path, okay? Love you, Blair. Make the right decision.” To my surprise, he pulled me into a hug. I was shocked, but my arms reluctantly wrapped around him. He let go and walked off back to where we’d come from.
I took a deep breath and stood there, contemplating whether I should follow the path or run. I shook my head. I can’t keep running. I have to face these things.
So I took another breath and started walking, one foot in front of the other. I hope I wouldn’t regret this.