Chapter Thirty-One : Wrong Time, Wrong Place

"Hey, Grace!" I groaned inwardly as an irritating russet haired girl stole Marley's seat on the bus.

"Hi, Kelse" I forced a smile. She didn't even bother to look at my wonderful acting and just kept talking.

"Are you and the girl over there dating?!" She pointed at Hazel, who was somehow sitting across from me.

"Absolutely not" I stated as brutally blunt as I could.

"So why'd you two kiss?" Already I felt Hazel's glare boring into both of us. Kelse was oblivious as usual. "Hey! Scary lesbo! Why'd you kiss Grace?!" She waved over at Hazel.

"Not your concern" Hazel snapped. Kelse gave me a inconspicuous look of dislike that was all but subtle.

"Why would you want to kiss her?! Does being gay make you think people who aren't pretty are pretty? Is that why you like girls?"

"I like girls because I like girls. We've been over this before" I rolled my eyes.

"But why would you choose to be all gross with girls when guys are so hot?!" She dragged out the 'so' for a few seconds.

"I know, right?" Marley put her elbows up on the back of my seat and hovered over me. "But I have to admit that some girls are way hotter than guys"

"That's because you have a girlfriend" I snorted, happy to share my misery with Marley.

"And she is very hot" Marley stuck her tongue out at me. I was so glad that the events of yesterday had passed and I could happily ignore it.

"You lesbos are weird"

"Yet I have a hot date. Hm... That's odd" Marley tapped her chin with mock thought. Kelse clearly missed the fact that Marley was teasing her.

"Oh this is my stop! Bye weird lesbians!" She skipped her way out of the bus and Marley took her seat next to me.

"God, that kid is one of the most irritating people I know" she groaned.

"You're supposed to be off the bus by now" Hazel broke into our conversation.

"Must have slipped my mind" Marley retorted bitterly. She never expressed her disappointment in me, but she had no reason to hide her irritation from the demon that had caused it. "What's the plan?" She turned back to me.

"Pick up your girlfriend, and make her drive us to the mall. My parents are going to be back soon and my house needs some brightening" I replied.

"I told you not to-" Hazel tried to get herself some attention.

"Whatever, Hazel" I sighed and returned to pretending she doesn't exist.

...

A shopping trip and a half hour drive later, I am back to cleaning up the house. My parents would be home tonight and I'm not going to be the one who looks lazier than Sawyer. Marley and Micha had helped a little, but Marley got tired and Micha had taken her home.

"You look like a maid" was the first thing Sawyer said as he waltzed into the house through the front door.

"Shut up and cook something. Salad for me, and make some tea and brownies for the parents" I ushered him into the kitchen with my broom.

"A bit extravagant, don't you think?" Sawyer imitated a British accent.

"No. If mom and dad are happy we get credit. The more extravagant it is the more we are rewarded" I shoved a box of brownie mix into his hands. "And don't make a mess!"

"Ugh. This had better not be what marriage is like" he whined but started on our brownies.

Another few hours past and Sawyer and I had finished our preparations at around ten o'clock.

The doorbell rang through the house shortly after and I skid over to open it. Without thinking I jumped and hugged the person who'd been standing there. The first thing I realized was that it was too short to be either of my parents. It had to be Marley or Robyn, for reasons I think you could guess. But this person felt different than them. This one felt really nice... And warm... And comfy. And she smelled fresher, more natural than either of the scents of Marley or Robyn... And her hair was too long to be Micha's-oh crap.

"Oh. It's you" I instantly put three feet between me and the very unamused triplet in front of me. "What do you want?"

"Why did you touch me?" She crossed her arms.

"One, it's called a hug. Two, I thought you were someone else" I rolled my eyes.

"We need to talk" she grumbled grudgingly and let herself in.

"Marley! If you're here for more food I-woah, scary teenage girl in my house" Sawyer looked over the back of the couch he was sitting on. "Aren't you the one Grace has a crush on?"

"Yes" Hazel replied nonchalantly.

"Oh. I see why you hate her" Sawyer growled.

"I don't care what you think" Hazel bit back boredly. "Grace. I need to talk with you" I gave an exasperated sigh before leading her to my room. My mind was giving me grief over the fact that I was letting Hazel into yet another one of my safe places.

"Megan is concerned for the rumors of us. She heard that we kissed again-"

"You kissed me" I corrected.

"And she wants me to tell you that you can't let these rumors spread. I will do my part. You do yours. If the situation does not die down, we have to take it up with Riley" she then turned and left without responding to whatever Sawyer was saying to her.

The door opened and closed and I heard a familiar set of voices. I rushed down the stairs and ran right into Hazel, who was looking at my parents like she'd seen a ghost.

"Mom! Dad!" I refrained from shoving Hazel out of the way so they didn't attack her.

"Grace!" They both hugged me. "Who's your friend?" My dad offered a smile. Oh I am so going to regret this...

"This is Hazel. She is a new student" I threw her a grin but my eyes were hard and telling her to play along too.

"Yeah. Grace helped show me around the first day and we totally hit it off" I nearly had a heart attack. What was possessing Hazel?! She would never say that!

"Well, it's late, but you're welcome to stay for the night" my mother beamed at her, pulling me under her arm. "You chose a good one, Grace" she purred. Yep. Regretting it.

"Just don't be loud" my dad pat my shoulder teasingly. My face turned hot and I was going to say something but the giggling parents had already gone to the kitchen. "Great brownies!" He laughed.

"Hazel... Quick talk" I dragged her to the bathroom and whisper yelled at her "what was that?! You said totally!" Hazel rolled her eyes.

"I'm a good actress" she sighed. "I am going home now"she was long gone by the time I realized she wasn't here. My parents were giving me a look. And now I also regret hiding in the bathroom.

"We're not dating!" I blushed.

"Uhuh. Sure you aren't" my dad grinned and kissed my forehead before he and mom went upstairs to sleep.