Chapter 8 - Nightmares and Shame

Start from the beginning

"Hey-" you begin.

"You've ignored two of my questions this evening and I haven't even been here ten minutes." He explains.

You lean back, but don't move your hand from his.

"I was tutoring Mr. Longbottom for his exam in the morning, we both weren't at dinner. And the potions...I'm having...bad dreams. I've been using the dreamless sleep potions for months on and off." You say quietly.

You feel Snape take his hand off yours. You see him stand as you look up from your lap. You furrow your brows as he approaches your kitchen, his cloak whipping behind him. Worry envelops you as you realize his motive.

"Severus!" You exclaim.

You stand, hurrying to him, but his large hands wrap around the cauldron and moves it towards the sink. You plant your hands around the other side of the cauldron.

"Y/N, it has to be done." Snape says.

You cock your head at him, feeling him apply pressure to the cauldron, to dump it into the sink.

"Severus, are you stupid? It's nearly seventy galleons worth of potions in there! You aren't going to waste it!" You argue.

Snape raises his brows at you.

"I can easily reorder the ingredients. I can't replace my assistant when you physically can no longer sleep." He says.

You scoff as he steps into the cauldron. You're forced back, but plant your feet on the floor.

"You want me gone! Why do you care!?" You demand.

Snape scowls down at you.

"Because you're still here." He growls.

You loosen your grip and Snape takes no time to dump the potion into the sink. You stare at him as he watches the shimmery purple liquid run down the drain. His shoulders rise and fall slowly and he doesn't turn to meet your gaze.

"Why wouldn't I still..."

You stop talking. You place your thumb and finger across the bridge of your nose and begin to massage it.

"Jesus fucking Christ." You curse.

You realize he thought you would have quit by now. Quit because of him. You did want to - but not anymore. Snape stands straight and slowly looks down at you.

"Why are you saying the name of a religious figure?" He inquires.

You look down, beginning to giggle. Snape dumping your potion is him trying to show you he cares.

"Something I picked up from my old muggle boyfriend, I suppose. I can't believe you dumped my potion, Severus." You sigh.

He walks past you, taking his cloak off as he does, to his chair. He tosses his cloak over it then sits back down. You smirk, walking back to your desk as well. You place your hand on it, leaning down to his eye level.

"I suppose I'm going to have to quit now. You're too inconsiderate." You tease.

Snape's eyes widen.

"What?" He hisses.

You nod, sitting back down, pouring some tea for yourself.

"I dumped that for the sake of your health!" He growls.

You sip your tea.

"And when did the sake of my health concern you so?" You retort.

You hear him growl deep beneath his chest. He stands abruptly and grabs his cloak. You lunge across the table and snatch the cloak before he can take it.