113

"Who is this?" I asked with confusion as I looked down at the girls.

"Damn, V. I know we haven't talked in a while but I thought you would at least recognize my voice." The person said as I took a deep breath.

"Jarrod?" I asked as Nova kicked her legs out and pouted her lip. "Shhh, it's okay." I whispered and tickled her tummy.

"There ya go." Jarrod said as I breathed a laugh. "How have you been?" I asked quietly.

"I'm okay. A little shocked to hear that you're married." He said as I shook my head. "Jarrod, we haven't talked in years...I thought you were following me on instagram." I said and put my phone on speaker phone so I could pay attention to the girls.

"I had to unfollow you" Jarrod said as I scrunched my brow. "Why?" I asked as Nova and Luna smiled up at me.

"It was hard, V. You know I was in love with you...seeing you happy without me was hard." He explained as I frowned.

"My happiness hurt you?" I asked as he sighed. "It's not like that. I just couldn't see you be with someone that wasn't me.." He said as I nodded.

"Who even told you that I'm married?" I asked as Luna whined. "Shhhh." I said and caressed her cheek. "Chad." Jarrod said as I scrunched my brow and pulled the girls into my arms. "You know Chad?" I asked as he chuckled.

"I work for Chad now. God, this is so embarrassing. I missed you so much after you left that I would go to his restaurant almost every day. We became friends, then he bought the restaurant and I decided to work for him." Jarrod as I nodded.

"It's not sad, they have great food. Maybe I'll come visit when I go there in a couple weeks." I said as he gasped slightly.

"You're coming?!" He asked as I breathed a laugh. "Yep, Colby and I will be there with some friends and our daughters." I said as the girls fell asleep in my arms.

"Hold on...daughters?" Jarrod asked with a serious tone. "Yeah. Twins...they're barely a month old." I said as he sighed. "I can't believe this. I wish you would have told me." He said as I shook my head.

"It's not like we've talked at all in the past three years.." I said and pursed my lips. "Maybe not, but I would have at least invited you to my wedding." Jarrod said as I scoffed.

"It was a small wedding, Jarrod. I can't even believe you're mad about this." I said trying to keep my voice level so I wouldn't wake the girls.

"We were best friends, V! You know how much you mean to me." He said as I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, I meant so much to you but you've never reached out." I said, feeling the annoyance bubble up.

"It's been hard for me, Violet. What part of this are you not understanding?" He asked as Luna woke up crying. "Way to go. I have to go, Jarrod. I'll talk to you later." I said then reached over and hung up on him.

"I'm sorry, love bug." I whispered then stood up as I bounced Luna, trying to get her to fall back asleep.

It only took a couple minutes for her to settle back in my arms, which I was grateful for because I didn't want to wake Nova.

I ended up bringing the girls up to the nursery so they could sleep while I got some work done around the house.

As soon as I got downstairs I could hear my phone ringing again. I assumed it was Jarrod again which caused my blood to boil. I couldn't believe he would blame me for not telling him about my marriage or kids.

I didn't owe him anything.

When I walked over to my phone though I saw that it was Colby calling and not Jarrod. "Hey, babe." I answered with a sigh.