Fine Line Between Love and Hate

Start from the beginning

You nodded, stepping forwards and taking the remote from Penelope. "So we took over the case 2 weeks ago and have since made quite the breakthrough. We had been handling the case all along as if our unsub was from the US, so we never did any research into it potentially being a foreigner with US ties. So I got into contact with the IRT's technical analyst who, with the help of Agent Garcia, found that there was no activity at the airport customs in Bolivia around the time we think the unsub was spotted by witnesses."

"So the unsub is a citizen?" Spencer interjected.

You glared at him. "Yes, he's a citizen of Bolivia. However, I was asking myself how it was possible that he could so easily get into the US without detection if he weren't a legal citizen or registered VISA holder."

"And?" Derek questioned.

"Our unsub is involved in the Bolivian government, most likely with relations to the United States."

Everyone looked around at each other, all silently agreeing with your conclusion. "Wheels up in 30," Hotch said.

Spencer glanced at you, slightly impressed by your obvious intelligence.

Your teams worked surprisingly well, everyone's individual skills balancing out nicely and making the tracking of the Baker family relatively quick. Your hypothesis was correct, and the unsub ended up being an assistant to the Bolivian ambassador to the US. With some help from the BAU, specifically Spencer, you all concluded that it had to do with a bad family upbringing and narrowed it down pretty easily. It was funny, actually, you had known Spencer for 5 years but had never properly had a casual conversation with him until those couple days in Bolivia. Once you two got past your detest for the other, after a few glares from Hotch, you came to learn that he didn't entirely suck.

"My old buddy used to be a diplomat here and says there's an excellent bar nearby if anyone is interested," Longhorn suggested.

"I'm definitely in," Rossi said, grinning.

"Count all of us in!" Penelope chimed in.

You definitely wish you didn't come. Not that there was anything wrong with anyone there, excluding Spencer, but because a) you weren't a drinker and b) the only other sober one was Spencer. "I need air," you muttered, getting out of your seat and heading outside. You enjoyed people watching and all, but the view from the backside of the bar was incredible. The wooded valleys, views of distant lakes, and the orange sky that was covered in no clouds.

"Is there uh room for one more?"

You turned around. "Depends on which version of you I'm getting."

"Version?"

"Normal Reid or Bolivia Reid?"

"Is there a difference?"

"Just that Bolivia Reid isn't an ass."

He shook his head, laughing to himself. "Yeah uh I just wanted to say...I really did underestimate you."

"I like where this is going, continue."

"I guess I knew you'd do it eventually, I was just surprised you figured it out so soon and without much help. I don't know how I missed it."

You tapped your fingers to your knees. "Because I'm the secret genius of the bureau." A sly smile broke onto your face.

Spencer chuckled. "But seriously...I'm sorry for kind of being a jerk the other week."

"In fairness, I wasn't exactly mature either."

"Not at all." You elbowed him. "You said it first!"

"You're not supposed to agree!"

"Well, I did."