163

"WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF THIS IS THE LAST MINUTE OF YOUR LIFE?"

I shifted my eyes from the calm ocean to my right side when I heard a stranger spoke. Is she talking to me?

"Then I will love you, so I can be with the woman I love." I shrugged.

I saw on peripheral view that her eyes grew bigger, as she became petrified. "For the love of God, I am completely stranger and you will love me for a minute of your life? What the heck? Mamatay ka na maharot ka pa rin?!" I suddenly let out a chuckle, she's over reacting... I just answer her question.

"I just don't want to die broken, if this is the last minute of my life. I just answered your question tho," I simply uttered.

"Certified maharot goes to..."

"Rouston. And I am," I proudly said.

"Hmm, then can you love me for a minute... no, last minutes of my life?" I gazed at her again, and stare at her angelic yet pale face.

"And now, you are the one who's being weird here," I whisphered.

I saw her messy hair, napansin ko rin kaagad ang pang pasyente niyang damit. Pansin ko rin ang pagkahingal niya.

"Takas ka sa mental 'no?" I joked, with serious look plastered on my face.

She laughed. Darn, her voice is angelic yet irritating? How was that possible?

"Grabe, hindi ba pwedeng takas sa puso mo?" Dito na ako natawa.

"Maharot ka rin pala, I see." I also nodded my head.

"Pero walang makakatalo sayo?"

"Yes, walang makakatalo sa akin sa puso mo."

And we both laughed. Ewan, pero ang gaan niya kasama at kausap, kahit ngayon lang kami nagkita.

"Have we met before?" I asked, she really looks familiar.

"Hmm, nah? I guess? Baka nakasalubong mo ako, kaya familiar... sino ba namang makakalimot sa cuteness ko pag nakasalubong ako diba?" she shrugged but I can see her grin. I just laughed again.

"Do you like me?" Her face grimaced. Wow, foul 'to... sa akin pa nandiri sa gwapo kong 'to.

Pero nakabawi agad siya. "Nope, because I love you." Then she winked at me.

Napailing na lang ako, I know she's just joking at nakikisabay lang... but why my fcking heart is not at ease? I just felt that it is already beating fast... so fast, that I lost my count.

I stare at her.

"I know, I am cute," she confidently said.

Hindi niya na pinansin ang titig ko at namimilit na samahan ko siya.

"Tara tara!! Malapit na yung sunset, doon tayo sa magandang view!" She pointed a place na kung saan mas makikita ng maganda ang pag lubog ng araw.

She grabbed my wrist and we started running on the shore.

I stopped. "Hey, you are running out of breath."

Umiling lang siya habang tumatawa, halos hindi siya maubusan ng energy.

I sighed deeply. "Ang kulit," bulong ko. Hinabol ko siya sa pag takbo at inoffer ng piggyback, at hindi man lang nagdalawang isip at pumayag agad.

She's really weird. Papayag ba naman sa katulad kong stranger lang, paano pala pag hindi ako ang nandito? People will take advantage of her.

While walking, I ask the question she asked me earlier. "What will you do if this is the last minute of your life?"

I saw her on my side smiling widely but sadness is evident in her eyes. "I want to be unfair, and be with the man I love."

Halos matutop ako sa kinatatayuan ko. Pero nagawa ko pa rin siyang ilapag ng maayos nang makarating kami sa pwestong gusto niya.

Agad kaming humawak sa railings at parehong huminga ng malalim. The view is breathtaking, the calm and clear ocean... and the sunset... this is just perfect.

We sat on the floor, not minding if it's dirty.

All memories keep on flashing on my mind, but I just kept silent.

"Then why are you with me, a completely stranger?"

She smiled once again. "Hindi mo ba naalala kanina? Tinanong kita kung pwede mo ba akong mahalin sa huling minuto ng buhay ko diba, duh!" She even rolled her eyes.

And now, silnce envelopes us.

Narinig ko naman ang marahas na buntong hininga niya. "I'm dying," she said without emotion on her voice, but her eyes can tell.

"You don't want to die?" I am a jerk for asking that question on her.

"It's not that I can't stop death. But I am not afraid anymore, because I am with the man I love." She laughed while staring at me. I don't know if she's still joking around.

Tinapik ko ang kaliwang balikat ko. "Sandal ka sa akin, you must be tired."

Masaya siyang lumapit sa akin at sinandal nga kanyang ulo.

I want to ask her, I want to tell her... but I won't, I don't want to ruin this perfect time for her.

Pinanood lang naman ang pag lubog ng araw, at ang pag balot ng kadiliman sa buong lugar.

She's not moving anymore... and I already know why.

Napalunok ako, pero parang may batong naka bara sa lalamunan ko... naramdaman ko na rin ang pag init ng sulok ng mga mata ko.

Pigil hininga akong inangat ang tingin sa madilim na kalangitan para pigilan ang luha... but I can't stop it.

I bit my lower lip as I am trying myself to stop my sob.

Dito ko na niyakap ang payat at malamig niyang katawan. Sinuot ko rin sa kanya ang black denim jacket na suot ko.

When she's still breathing... I badly want to tell her that I remembered it all.

But I don't want to be selfish, I don't want her to die with guilt. I know she wants me to remain not remembering her.

Kaya pala parang palaging may kulang sa akin... at siya 'yon.

I don't know how she gets here, mukhang tumakas pa siya sa hospital, but it doesn't matter anymore. Naalala ko rin na sinabi niya kanina na gusto niya maging unfair, it must be being with me... she's also the one who ruin her decision na hindi magkasalubong ang landas namin, pero nandito siya. She still rooting for me, and I love it. Being unfair is being with her, then so be it.

I wiped my tears, but it just keep on falling.

Nang nasa bingit din siya noon ng kamatayan... I immediately come with her, but an accident happened, and I know she was guilty because of it. Death is really something, hindi mo talaga alam kung kailan darating. Muntikan pa akong mauna sa kanya, kaya siguro hindi na ulit siya nag pakita sa akin nang magising ako na walang maalala na kahit na ano.

I smiled while tears still dripping like a river on my cheeks.

"Ang daya mo naman, I am the one who told you that I want to die with the last minute of my life with the woman I love. Paano na pag mamatay ako? Sino na yung babaeng nasa tabi ko... nagyong wala ka na. Mamatay na lang din kaya ako?" I tried to joke, but if only she's still alive, alam kong makakatanggap ako ng malakas na batok mula sa kanya

Tumapik-tapik ko pa ng malakas ang dibdib ko para maibsan yung sakit, pero walang nangyayari.

"But thank you, because you came to me. At least I am the last person beside you at your end."

And at the end, I found myself sobbing.

I kissed her forehead while remembering her question to me. "If I came to my life that this is the last minute of it, I will be with the woman I love, but you will no longer there, so I will remember the most amazing woman I love... and it's always you. I love you."

--
HartleyRoses