83. Past and Future

As Corvus waved his hand, and the scene before them changed, Lucette saw that the woman from before had moved and she was sitting on a bed, nursing someone who was in it. But Lucette couldn't make them out, so present Corvus took a step back, without saying anything.

"Nothing is working, is it?" The woman spoke softly. "Why was it easy with the other one but not so easy with you? Is it because we couldn't get to it in time when it first manifested?"

"I feel like it's my fault...." A man's voice called out from behind and, as Lucette turned around, there, standing in the doorway, was the dark brown haired man with the kind red eyes.

"Cae? Heh, why do you think everything is your fault?"

"Well..." He walked into the room, closing the door behind him, and strode over to where the woman was sitting. "My family started it...."

"Oh, nonsense with that...." She waved a hand at him. "I've dismissed that claim!"

"What about the stone?"

The woman raised her hand just above the form, and Lucette moved so she could get a better look and saw that it was, most definitely, the past Corvus, but with very laboured breathing. She then witnessed a stone float out of his chest and, as she saw the colours of the stone, she realised that the purple stone with silver swirls looked awfully familiar.

"It's just there for 'decoration', but he insists on keeping it for me...."

"Can the same technique be used on him like his brother?"

"No, and I don't know why...."

"Well, don't do anything drastic...." The man commented as he leaned down, placed a kiss on her forehead and walked back out of the room.

"I think that the only solution is...." The woman hung her head, and placed the stone back in his body. "That...."

The scene faded, and Lucette turned around to face the present Corvus.

"Is that guy your....?"

"Grandfather? Yes. He doesn't leave his place a lot, but he is a gentle and kind soul...." Corvus looked sideways. "He's a much better guy than his brother...."

"His brother?"

Turning his head back again, he shrugged. "No one to bother with...."

The scene around them changed again, and they were standing outside of a house. Two figures were standing nearby and, on closer inspection, Lucette saw that it was the woman and Casus.

"Do you really need to do this?" Casus questioned her.

"He came to me for help, and I want to see it through...."

"You've already helped him once with the whole stone issue, and that nearly killed you!"

"Your concern for me is greatly appreciated...."

"Damn you...."

"Casus...." She smiled warmly at him, raised her hand and cupped his cheek. "You'll always be my third son, even if you're not biologically mine. But to me? You will always be...."

"You.... Aren't in favour of any of the fates...."

"You know me.... I always have a trick up my sleeve...."

Casus raised his hand, and placed it over hers. "I want to believe that...."

"Then believe it...."

"You do know.... That with you gone, it will start a chain reaction with 'that' family? They would use the brokenness of your family and use it to their advantage to try and start a coup...."