13: Tough Love

Cora had just finished helping MinHee unpack when her phone buzzed. Cora figured it was Jackson, since MinHee didn’t even bother offering an excuse and hurried out of the room and into the living room to answer the call. Cora took this time to call Mark.

He didn’t answer. His voicemail sounded, and Cora waited for the tone. “Hey. Uhm, it’s me… I talked to MinHee. She knows. I want to talk to you. If, uh, you’re up for it, I’m going to be at the old apartment tonight. I don’t expect you to stop by, but I’m ready to compromise if you do.” She bit the inside of her lip. “So I guess… I’ll talk to you later? Not necessarily tonight of course but… soon.” She didn’t even need to hang up, the machine cut her off, telling her she’d hit the max allotted time. She rolled her eyes and hung up, knowing the message would go through anyways.

MinHee closed the door behind her and answered. “Im MinHee speaking.”

“Hello MinHee.” Came the voice that MinHee remembered as one of the woman working with the producers. “I was just calling to issue you the schedule for this week. Your label has already been spoken to, and they understand that we will be needing you for filming for the rest of this week, and partially into next week for the first season of the show.”

“First season?” She hadn’t realized it was a series.

“Depending on the ratings, we may continue.” MinHee nodded, even though the woman couldn’t see her. We start filming this coming Monday. You’re expected to be on set every morning by 6:30.”

MinHee nodded again. “Okay, I’ll be there. Thank you.” The woman ended the call and MinHee clutched the phone hard in her hands. She hadn’t realized that everything would start so quickly. She thought that, maybe, she’d be given more time to prepare or for them to prepare but it seemed they were already ready to go. She sighed.

The door opened and Cora moved out into the living room. She smiled. “Jackson?”

“No, one of the producers.” She answered. “They wanted to give me my schedule.”

“And?”

She shrugged. “I’m going to be gone for a week, possibly more.” Cora nodded. “But you guys can come visit me,” She said, smiling.

Cora laughed. “Of course,” She said, shaking her head. “I should probably get back to the dorm, before I really piss Maria off.”

“She’s angry with you?”

Cora nodded. “I’m keeping Mark from her, and covering with Kai, and she knows it. I haven’t exactly been nice about it.” MinHee nodded in agreement. At least she was acknowledging that she was wrong. “Anyways, I’ll see you in the morning?” MinHee nodded, and Cora moved towards the door.

When she was gone, MinHee grabbed her phone and dialed Jackson’s number. She owed him an explanation.