02: Roommates

Mark leapt up and raced to Cora’s side, lightly patting her back and squatting down beside her. “Are you alright?” He asked, patting a little less, when she stopped coughing so hard.

Cora nodding, grabbing a napkin and wiping the coffee that had spilled when she began coughing. “I’m fine,” She said, gesturing for him to take a seat across from her, which he did, with wide eyes and a worried expression. “I’m sorry,” She said, clearing her throat. “But did you ask me if we were going to tell the others soon?”

Mark’s mouth opened a little, as if he was going to speak, but he nodded first. “Yes?”

She shook her head. “No,” She said, shaking her head again. “No, and you know that! We had a deal.” He frowned and slumped back against the chair. “Mark,” She said, leaning forward and grabbing at his hand, but he slid it off the table. “When we decided to… hang out again,” He made a face. “We promised it would be kept between us, didn’t we? We were supposed to be friends in front of everyone else, and that was it.”

He sighed. “I’m running out of excuses to come out and see you,” He said flatly, and Cora was caught off guard again. “I don’t know what you want me to say to the managers when they ask where I’m going, or what I’m doing.”

Cora bit the inside of her lip. She’d a lot more freedom than Mark, since she pretty much made her own schedule. “I can’t tell the others, Mark.” She said, shaking her head. “The last time we were together, and they knew, I was always getting in trouble for going off to see you. And then when things weren’t so great between us, I kind of shut down and nearly cost us the debut. I don’t want them to think I’m being irresponsible-”

“For dating?”

“Yes! For dating you!” She sighed, shaking her head. “I know for an absolute fact that you know you affect me,” He smirked at this. “So you can’t possibly be surprised that I acted that way.”

He shrugged. “Well, I’m pretty positive I’m not going to break up with you this week, so you can worry about it on another day. But this way we don’t have to make up excuses-”

“Just because we’re dating doesn’t mean they’ll just let us leave rehearsals to hang out, Mark.” She said, taking another sip of her latte. “Besides, I don’t even know if I want to be your girlfriend again.”

Mark’s eyebrows pulled together. “I was never bad to you, was I?” He asked, sincerely. “Was our relationship bad?”

Cora bit her lip, hard, and shook her head. “No, of course not! You were never a bad guy, but I don’t-” She sighed. “Mark, there was a reason I was never with a guy that I liked. I get emotional, I get worried, and possessive, and I don’t want to deal with that again.”

Mark squinted, staring down at the table. “Right. Okay, uh, so then we’ll just…” He sighed. “I knew that damn deal would be bad luck.”

Cora leaned across the table and pressed a kiss on his lips. “Did you, now?” She asked, biting her lip. “Well, that’s too bad. I guess I’ll just head back home.” She stood, taking another sip of her coffee. “I’ll call you when I feel like it, I guess.”