38: Hell

TRIGGER WARNING - GRAPHIC CHAPTER

Remnya

Eerie silence preluded a nightmare, like the calm before the storm. Remnya leaned against her bed, gripping the mattress not to fall, her lifeless legs bending. Her eyes locked on an unrecognizable Skado, who returned an empty stare through veiny eyes. Remnya's worst nightmare in a rotten human vessel, standing under the doorframe.

Skado smirked, his deformed lips twisting awkwardly. His skin was pale pink, peeling like paper layers. His hairless head gleamed under the fluorescent light, and her ears and nose were gone. Scars covered his shirtless torso with a pattern of burned skin, displaying different tones of red.

He had become death itself.

"Mr. Skado, this is a mistake!" Sagan shouted, wiping the blood from his nose. "Plus, you're still convalescent, the treatment has barely started. You can't do this!"

"Shut the fuck up! I'm not gonna spend my days lying on a fucking bed!" Skado roared, his voice dry and raspy, almost unrecognizable. His eyes scanned Remnya from head to toe, freezing her bones. "I will make this bitch pay for all the pain she has caused me."

Remnya's pupils dilated at the sound of his words, and a cold shiver ran down her back until the tip of her tail.

She tried to summon her fire in her left hand.

A white flash lit the room, and a gunshot rumbled in Remnya's ears.

Electric pain paralyzed her left arm as a bullet penetrated her skin, destroying her bone and exploding against the wall behind her.

Blood splattered the bed, and Remnya lost balance, slamming her body against the floor. She shrieked in pain as a red stream flowed from the hole in her forearm. Tears formed in her eyes, and the intense pain made her dizzy.

Skado shoved his revolver in his waistband and stomped to Remnya. He jerked her arms against her back and used a metallic device to lock her hands together, immobilizing her fingers and restraining all her moves.

Lifting Remnya's head by the hair, Skado whispered in her ear. "Did you believe I'd make the same mistake twice?" He chuckled and slammed her face against the ground, almost breaking her nose. Remnya let out a groan of pain and a few tears.

"That device will keep you from using your fire, and that bullet has an anesthetic that will paralyze your muscles for a while." Skado seized her tail and dragged her toward a corner, leaving a trail of blood behind. "Wanna know what's the best thing about it, though? You will still be able to feel pain!" He guffawed, his disgusting voice echoing throughout the room.

"Mr. Skado, this is a mistake!" Sagan stepped into the room and held his hands together, begging. "She's useful for our mission. Hurting her won't bring us anything good!"

Skado gave the doctor a contemptuous glance. "I don't give a shit. We already have the Netomics. We need no more."

"The treatment is not even complete, sir! What if that batch of Netomics is not enough to fully heal your body?"