5: Lights And Shadows

Remnya

Noon arrived sooner than expected. The time flew by in the mansion. Remnya was still figuring out how her laptop worked when Brisa came for her. The maid took her to the dining hall without saying a single word. She seemed in a bad mood, so Remnya didn't dare to start a conversation.

The dining hall was massive. Remnya scanned the place in awe; every room was an exciting experience, a new world she had only seen in her dreams. Brisa told her to sit and wait for Magenta, but curiosity drove her to examine every corner. The place had a great view of the garden, thanks to the immense crystal windows surrounding it. Sunbeams warmed up the interior as they mirrored on the wine marble floor, giving the hall a divine glow.

A sharp sound of heels echoed from the doorway throughout the silent hall. Remnya rushed to sit and adjust her wrinkled dress.

Magenta walked into the hall, each step leaving a trail of elegance behind her. The white silk of her long dress danced around her legs while the sun's reflection cast a radiant aura on her figure. She looked like a goddess. Magenta sat at the end of the table and beamed at Remnya, who returned a twist of her lips resembling a smile.

A soft essence of mango mixed with roses reached Remnya's nose. She smells like she looks.

Magenta crossed her arms on the table and locked her eyes on Remnya, analyzing her every move in silence. Remnya looked away, trying to escape her green gaze, and shifted in her seat.

"You don't have to feel nervous, my dear," the lady said in a soothing voice.

"I'm not." Remnya forced herself to keep eye contact, but Magenta's eyes felt like needles.

The lady smiled at her reaction. "I know that orphanage was a bad place, but no one will hurt you here."

Remnya glanced at her and then at the vivid garden.

"Orena . . . " Magenta shook her head. "She was awful, wasn't she?"

Remnya raised her eyebrows. "Do you know the old hag—I mean, Orena?"

Magenta chuckled. "Unfortunately. That's why I sent Marcus to deal with her. I can't stand people like that."

"She was a mean hag, but," Remnya pointed at the cut on her cheek. "She didn't do this."

"Interesting." Magenta leaned forward. "Who did that to you?"

"Liam . . . He is a very annoying kid who hates my friend Zeo and me."

"Liam?" Magenta pressed her lips with her index finger. "What else did he do to you?"

"He didn't dare to bother me much, but once, he locked me in the boys' bathroom and tried to get his friend Santi to kiss me." Remnya shuddered at the thought.

The lady blinked, remaining expressionless. "Did they do anything else to you? You can trust me with anything," she assured her in a firm voice.

Remnya thought about it for a moment. "No. I punched them and kicked them, and then . . . I used a broken glass." Her voice hesitated as she dropped her gaze. "Sorry, I know that wasn't okay to do."

"No, my dear. That's quite impressive."

"Is it?" Remnya tugged her dress and looked at Magenta from the corner of her eyes. "Even if I hurt someone? I didn't mean to."

"You defended yourself. I would've done the same." Magenta's upper lip twitched. "No, maybe worse."

Remnya widened her eyes. "Really? A lady like you?"

"You can be a lady and lioness at the same time." Magenta smirked. "Men think they can do whatever they want to us. It's our duty to put them in their place sometimes."