19: Crimson Roses

TRIGGER WARNING-GRAPHIC CHAPTER

Remnya

Everything was darkness. Remnya could only hear murmurs echoing in the distance. She felt like floating in a void for what seemed hours or days. Time made no sense anymore.

A flash awakened her senses again, and she recognized her body lying on a bed. The soft smell of citrus filling her nose assured her she was in her room. She lifted her heavy eyelids and squinted at the blurred figures surrounding her. It took her a while to make sense of them. No doubt, it was her room, but it looked different. Half of it was in the shadows, except for one white light blinding her.

Nothing hurt, but her head spun like a wheel. When Remnya tried to sit up, her body felt heavy like concrete, and she fell back on the bed. She massaged her head and slowly remembered the recent events. How she wished she didn't. Remnya stared at herself, realizing she wasn't wearing her blood-stained dress anymore. Instead, she was wearing the white dress Ronner had given her. Why?

"I'm glad you woke up."

Remnya sat up suddenly, the whole room turning around her. She scanned the shadows, squinting over a corner until she discovered the source of that creepy voice.

Persen Doman. He was sitting on a couch next to her desk.

Her eyes widened like full moons. "What are you doing in my room?" she stammered.

He replied with a giggle.

Remnya sprang out of her bed, stumbling as her feet touched the cold floor. Her heart raced as she staggered to the door.

It was locked.

"Are you afraid of me?" Persen asked.

Her sweaty hands slipped on the doorknob. Remnya turned to him with a glare. "Get out of here!"

Persen stood up. His belly bounced as he strutted in her direction. She realized he wasn't wearing his usual suit but a casual shirt and short pants.

"I just want us to get along, my beautiful Nephilim." His grin grew wider with each step.

"Where's Magenta? And Mr. Ronner?" Remnya leaned against the door, locking her eyes on his unpredictable moves.

"Magenta is fine, don't worry. I made sure to pay for her treatment. As for Ronner, he is taking care of her." Persen sat on her bed and stroked the sheets. "It's just you and me here."

The room seemed to shrink around her.

Not losing sight of him, Remnya darted to her windows. However, they were locked too, and the keys were nowhere to be found. "What is the meaning of this? What do you want?" Remnya scowled at him, reaching out for her drawers. She swept the interior, looking for the knife Marcus had given her.

"I just want us to get along." Persen caressed his chin and regarded her with a smirk. "You look even cuter when you're scared."

"Shut up!" she yelled. "Get outta my room now, stupid old man!" Her heart kicked when she realized her drawers had been emptied. Remnya didn't understand the situation but knew she had to get out of there.

"So mean." Persen pouted and then smiled again. "Alright. I will tell you what's going on."

Cold sweat rolled down Remnya's back.

"You belong to me now, my precious Nephilim." He stood up, blocking her way to the door. "And as such, you will do as I say."

"Screw you!" Remnya shouted as she seized a table lamp from her desk and threw it at him. Persen covered his face as the lamp shattered on his arms, shooting sharp crystals into his skin.