45: Our Dreams

Remnya

The crimson ghost loomed over the forest, devouring everything in its path with vicious bites, turning beauty into ashes and darkness into light. Remnya felt her body vanishing into the blaze; it wasn't part of her anymore; she had become fire itself, burning with immense fury.

Yet, she could still feel Zeo's heart beating next to her, fueling her unbreakable will.

If Zeo lived, she would depart with a smile.

Edo's silhouette faded before her eyes, but his grim aura lingered in her consciousness. Remnya had to destroy it, even if it meant her own demise.

Unable to restrain that monster in her weakened body any longer, Remnya allowed all her nightmares and dreams to clash into oblivion, the birth of a demonic entity, wailing with the sorrow of thousands of banshees.

Her crimson fire would decide her fate, and she was at peace with it. Deaf and blind, her body faded into the flames.

"I'm sorry, Zeo," she whispered, her words vanishing into the unknown.

As the blast reached its target, the earth shattered beneath her feet, and the lament of all her demons finally fell still.

A tempest silenced her nightmares.

Remnya closed her eyes and felt how a river of magma carried her away toward her last destiny. If that were her fate, she would happily accept it. No more darkness. Only an intense light awaiting her arrival.

Peace at last.

A beautiful maiden sauntered among the flames. Her eyes were as crimson as her own, and her hair as dark as the night of her mind.

So warm, yet so distant. So familiar, yet so unknown.

The maiden spoke, her pale lips hiding a bittersweet smile.

"It's not your time yet, my little girl."

Her voice reached deep into her soul, and tears flowed mercilessly from her blind eyes. Remnya knew that voice very well. She had heard it too many times in her dreams.

The beautiful woman from her dreams. The one who had loved her with all her soul until the end.

"Is this you . . . Mom?"

. . .

"It's not your time yet, my dear baby."

. . .

Between sobs, Remnya gathered the strength to ask the only thing she had always wanted to know.

Why had she abandoned her in that world?

But those words never left her mouth.

Deep within, Remnya knew the answer.

. . .

The maiden looked at her and gifted her a last smile, reassuring her heart with a beam of hope before fading among the crimson flames of her soul.

An everlasting memory that would accompany her until the end.

Her words echoed in her mind.

It's not your time yet, my dear baby.

. . .

Silence.

. . .

"REM!"

Remnya recognized Zeo's voice among the cries of her soul, and the overwhelming heat engulfed her body again, triggering all her senses with the euphoria of life.