59: Endeavour

Remnya

Remnya and Brisa arrived at Debrin's hideout by sunrise. A symphony of birds welcomed them as the truck crossed the gates that led to the citrus garden, where the army had spent their last dinner together. The smoke of dying campfires lingered in the air like a gray mist, along with the smell of burnt wood and incense.

They parked under a lemon tree and stepped out of the vehicle. Brisa admired her surroundings, her mouth wide open as hummingbirds flapped their wings near her hair. Remnya rushed to help Joan stand up, but the man declined her aid with a polite shake of his head.

"I guess your mission was a success," a soothing voice said from behind.

Remnya turned and saw Ozura walking in her direction. Her purple pupils scanned Brisa from head to toe. "Is this your friend?"

"Yes, miss," Remnya replied and grabbed her sister's hand. "She is Brisa."

Brisa gasped and bowed to Ozura. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

Ozura twisted her lips, staring at Brisa's abdomen for long seconds, and then looked into her eyes coldly. "These are sorrowful times to bring a child to the world," she said.

Brisa lowered her gaze and said nothing. However, Remnya scowled and opened her mouth, but words didn't dare to leave the depths of her thoughts. She didn't choose to!

Silence.

Ozura's expression softened as she observed Remnya's and Brisa's reactions. She brushed a strand of carmine hair out of her face and spoke, "Anyway, you two must be tired. Please come in, I was making breakfast."

"Don't worry about me, miss." Remnya pointed at Joan. "I think he needs breakfast more than me."

Ozura chuckled, displaying two perfect Nephilim fangs. "He'll be fine. Plus Joan hates my food."

Joan nodded. "She's right. Don't worry about me, young Remnya. I have all I need in my tent." He bowed to them and walked away, fading behind the trees.

Remnya blinked in confusion and then shrugged. "Alright then." She rushed to unload their bags from the truck bed, and together, they entered Debrin's home.

The interior looked different. Someone had cleaned the mess Debrin and Merle had left, turning the kitchen into a tidy and welcoming environment. Remnya barely recognized it without the dozen boxes scattered everywhere. Even the smell had changed; a sweet scent of peach floated in the air.

Ozura's breakfast was a cup of red tea with orange and lemon. Next to it, there was a plate with tangerine jam and bread sliced neatly. Remnya and Brisa sat across from each other while Ozura sat at the end of the table, smiling at them. Remnya had a hard time recognizing that lady without her combat uniform. She wore a long dress and an apron that made her look like a caring mom, unlike the fearsome and ruthless warrior everyone claimed she was.

Driven by hunger, Remnya rushed to eat and finished before Brisa even took the first sip of tea. Ozura offered her another cup and more bread, which Remnya happily accepted.

"So. . ." Ozura looked at Brisa. "What will his name be?"

"His name?" Surprised, Brisa swallowed her food and thought for a moment. "I am bad at names, so I agreed to let Remnya choose one for me. Maybe two."

Ozura turned to Remnya, expecting an answer. A smile spread across Remnya's face. "I wanted to name him Amy, but since he'll be a boy, I was thinking of. . . uh. . ." She stayed pensive for a moment. "How about Zaoly? Like the kid from that story Zeo read me."

"Zaoly?" Brisa tilted her head. "Who was Zaoly?"

"Zaoly was a kid who wanted to ride clouds and travel the world. He was strong too, and kind to animals, so one day, the birds decided to help him fulfill his dream. They built a giant nest like thingy to carry him through the skies, but the evil kids from his village didn't want him to be happy, so they burned the forest." Remnya lowered her gaze. "I guess it's not the happiest story, but Zaoly was brave and never gave up trying to protect those who were important to him. Even if they were as small as a hummingbird."