21: You're Not Alone

Magenta

The infirmary of the mansion had been built as a mini-hospital with its own doctors and sophisticated equipment. It was an unknown place for most servants. However, her most trusted maid, Maria, knew it very well. Magenta was lying in a narrow bed, pale and pitiful, her figure a ghost of the powerful woman she used to be; bandages wrapped around her arms and head while several devices checked her vital signs.

Someone opened the door, and immediately, Magenta recognized Maria's soft steps. For the first time, the maid would see her lady without makeup or fancy clothes.

Maria tugged her dress and sat next to Magenta, her gaze fixed on the white sheets. The young girl remained silent for long minutes. Without her lady nearby, her fate was uncertain, and Ronner was the owner of her life.

"My lady," Maria murmured. "What should I do?" She wiped unshed tears from her lavender eyes and lifted her face toward the ceiling, where incandescent lights made her squint.

"Maria," Magenta whispered, her voice a thin thread.

"Yes!" She rushed to answer and grabbed her cold hand. "I'm here."

Magenta's eyes were a thin line, but her emerald gaze sneaked through her eyelids, fixing on Maria. "You look awful," the lady said.

Maria chuckled. "I know . . . How are you feeling, my lady?"

"I feel like shit." Magenta scoffed, opening her eyes. Her cranium felt like falling apart, but she wouldn't let Maria see her in pain. "Are you okay? Did that jerk hurt you?"

The maid shook her head. "He has not shown any interest in me as usual."

"Good." Magenta's eyes shut again. "You need to leave this damned place as soon as possible."

"No way I'd do that!"

"Don't be stupid!" The lady scowled at her. "Who knows what he will do to you!"

"Even so . . . I can't just abandon you, my lady."

Magenta chuckled bitterly. "I chose this, this is my fate. I fell into my own trap. But you? You still have a life to live!" she shouted, squeezing Maria's hand with all her remaining strength.

"How could I live leaving you all behind?" Maria shook her head again. "No, I can't do that! Don't ask me that, please."

The lady sighed. "I know what you're thinking . . . You believe there's still something you can do to save me and Brisa along with the Nephilim."

"I must try . . . " Maria lowered her gaze and fixed it on her hands wrapped around Magenta's fingers.

"Stubborn as usual, silly kid." She chuckled. "I'd kick your ass outta here if I could."

Maria smiled. "I know we can do it, my lady. It's not over yet. I can feel it."

Magenta remained silent for a moment. "Marcus . . ." she trailed off, recalling his sulky yet beautiful eyes. "He told me about his plan. He knew he wouldn't make it out of here alive and trusted I'd do what he asked me." Her lips tightened as she swallowed her pain. "Fucking idiot. He knew me too well."

"We can still finish what he started . . . "

"Marcus left me a letter where he explained everything to me. I did as he asked me. Everything should've gone as planned, but . . . " A tear rolled down her cheek and landed on the pillow. "I made a mistake . . . I wasted time, and Ronner figured out my plan sooner than expected." Magenta took a deep breath, trying not to drown in sobs. "However, you can still finish his mission for me."