22: Stranded Soul

Remnya

Remnya's mind was a void in her head. Devoid of sensations, she couldn't tell the difference between life and death. A timeless nightmare where her only company was her brain playing tricks on her. During her three days journey through hell, she glimpsed familiar silhouettes in the darkness. The most vivid one was Marcus'. Why was he the only one? Remnya felt an overwhelming nostalgia when his bodyguard showed up before her. Unfortunately, she couldn't feel his warm hugs anymore.

The faint smell of alcohol and disinfectant woke her up on the fourth morning. Back to her senses, she tried to open her eyes, but her eyelids were too heavy, and a white flash blinded her. It took her a moment to recognize her surroundings. Remnya tried to sit up, but her body didn't respond. When her eyes adapted to the incandescent lights, she witnessed in horror her arms and legs restrained.

Her body hung from her wrists and neck, held tightly by steel devices attached to a platform. She was only wearing her underwear, while multiple wires were attached to her body with electrodes. Her heart kicked against her chest as she twisted her weakened body in a futile attempt to break free.

"I'm glad you woke up, young lady," an old man in a white coat said. He was sitting meters away from her with his glasses fixed on a computer screen.

"What is this? Where am I?" Remnya mumbled, scanning the place with dilated eyes. Everything was glowing white.

He walked up to her. "My name is Sagan. Doctor Sagan. I apologize for the uncomfortable circumstances we meet in, but Mr. Ronner thought this would be the best method to execute our tests."

A blow of realization hit her face as she recalled isolated events from the past. The last thing she remembered was an unbearable heat inside her body and falling unconscious when Persen was undressing her.

"Persen . . . " she whispered, and her breath shortened. "Where's he?"

"Worry not, young lady." Sagan smiled. "He's dead and buried. We shall keep those events as a secret, though."

Her face turned pale like a ghost. "What events? What did he do to me?" Remnya shouted, panting as cold shivers ran down her spine.

"Nothing. You defended yourself. Well, technically, your body did. Your pureness has been preserved, young lady." He bobbed his head with enthusiasm.

An odd feeling of relief eased her heart, but soon, new concerns arose. "Let me go!" She glared at Sagan. "What's the meaning of this?"

"Please, relax, young lady. We shall proceed with our tests now. It won't take long." Sagan typed multiple keys on a blue touchscreen.

A long cylindrical device resembling a gun emerged from the floor in front of her and stopped, aiming at her left arm.

"What is this? What are you doing?" She shook her body.

"Breath deeply, young lady. This shouldn't hurt." The man entered a command and dropped a switch. The tip of the device glowed orange as it heated up. Remnya ran out of breath, shrieking as she felt the heat increasing over her.

The device shot a stream of blue fire directly into her arm. Remnya forced the steel around her wrists with all her strength and closed her eyes.

However, the flame didn't hurt at all.

Slowly, she turned to look at it. The fire was hitting her forearm, yet she only felt a warm sensation, softer than her hairdryer.

"What is this? What are you trying to do?" Her voice trembled.

"As expected. Not even this 5000 degrees Celsius torch can harm your body, young lady."

Remnya widened her eyes, staggered and mesmerized by the blue flame caressing her skin.