24: The Taste Of Iron

Brisa

Silence lingered in the great hall. Its tall crystal windows were wide open, allowing a gentle breeze to caress Brisa's hair. Her eyes locked on the courtyard and the dying moon. Did Maria make it?

A heavy arm wrapped around her. Ronner stood still by her side with his gaze locked on her. He seemed to analyze her slightest movements. If the rumors were true, he could read people's thoughts and drill into their brains. Ronner caressed her face and brushed her bangs with odd tenderness. He had been too silent.

Brisa was stiff, trying her best not to shake or shiver. He kissed her cheek and sniffed her hair. His fingers trembled on her waist as if trying not to dig his claws into her skin and rip her clothes apart. It had been weeks since the last time he had forced her to do his will.

The big doors slammed open when Belo stormed into the hall, his face devoid of color.

"Sir! I apologize for interrupting you, but this is urgent!" he shouted, standing upright near his eyesight, the closest he would dare to be.

"The hell you want?" Ronner asked in a monotonous tone, without taking his eyes away from Brisa.

"I don't know how to explain this, but—"

"Hold your tongue, motherfucker!" Skado yelled as he broke into the room, his suit covered in fresh blood. "I have bad news for you, Ronner."

Brisa's heart skipped a beat, fearing the worst. Ronner released her and turned to face Persen's son.

"The fucking maid escaped, and . . . " Skado clenched his fists and let out a grunt.

Ronner fixed his eyes on Skado and walked toward him, tilting his head as he tried to read through his soul. "And what?"

Skado didn't say a word until Ronner stood right in front of his face.

"The Anglish boy is dead," Skado said, his face hard as stone.

Ronner blinked. He turned to look at Brisa as if searching for answers, and then his eyes locked on the marble floor. He rubbed his chin and scratched his head. "Did you kill the boy?" he asked, his voice dancing with tension.

"Yes." Skado nodded with a scowl.

Ronner's eyes darted at Skado like arrows. "Why?"

"He delayed us with his stupid antics, causing the maid to escape." Skado's voice filled with contempt. "The fucking kid deserved it!"

"I see," Ronner said with a calmness that sliced the air. He smiled and brushed his hair backward. He began pacing through the hall, his expression unreadable.

Finally, he came to a halt in front of Skado. "So, Zeo is dead."

"It doesn't ma—" Skado began.

But Ronner's fist smashed into his face.

The powerful impact released a shockwave, shattering the crystal windows, and sent Skado flying like a bullet against the wall. His body penetrated the concrete, causing the wall to collapse on him like a domino.

"Fucking idiot! Are you stupid, motherfucker?" Ronner bellowed, his voice resounding throughout the hall like an angry lion roar.

When Skado tried to sit up, Ronner charged at him. He jumped and landed on his stomach with his knee, and then another fist met Skado's jaw.

He landed two more punches until Skado stopped the third. He spat blood at Ronner's eyes and retaliated with an uppercut. The blow stunned Ronner for a second, and Skado tried to get up.