14: A Shot In The Dark

Trigger Warning: Graphic Chapter

Ronner

Ramos' army gathered in the forest bordering the outskirts of Crysalton. A tense atmosphere lingered among the warriors, who tried to distract themselves with alcohol and music. Whether they lived or died, that would be their last battle.

The war against The Hunters had been long and deadly. The Hunters were gifted warriors loyal to no one but the people. Rumors claimed there were still pure Nephilims among their ranks, but no one knew for sure. Their main motto was to protect the weak, but it varied according to their interests.

Marcus' first choice had been to offer Remnya to The Hunters, but Magenta refused, arguing she wanted to avoid them at all costs. Most Hunters wouldn't see the trading of a young girl with good eyes. A word in the wrong ears and her whole empire would crumble like a sandcastle.

Ronner walked among the suspicious stares of Ramos' soldiers with a cocky smile. He looked different without his fancy suit. That night, he dressed in combat clothes: a black sleeveless shirt of bulletproof fabric, a black leather belt reforged with diamonds, and military pants, matched by combat boots. His muscular body and clothes choices made him look like a veteran warrior.

He had been part of Karx for several years, led a big army, and fought several battles. No one knew how he ended up as one of Magenta's men. People gossiped she had bewitched him. How could a prideful warrior like him follow orders from a simple woman? The men of Karx wondered, but no one dared to question his decisions. His loyalty toward Magenta gave her the edge over anyone who tried to challenge her empire.

However, that night Ronner was a mere stranger in enemy territory. Everyone shot him daggers of contempt and fear.

"The captain trusts your word, but I don't," Prad, the first officer, said, standing in front of Ronner. He was an immense broad man, two heads taller than Ronner and twice as wide. He had penetrating, yellow eyes and long, black hair wrapped in a pigtail that touched his waist. "Try anything suspicious, and you're a dead man, yo' hear me?"

Ronner shrugged. "Don't worry, Prad. Once I'm done here, you won't have to see my pretty face again." Ronner smirked as he slapped the big man's shoulder.

Prad glared at his hand. His fists trembled as if he were holding back not to tear Ronner's arm apart. Prad groaned, smacking his hand away, and turned around to leave.

Ronner laughed and continued toward Ramos' tent. They met next to a campfire with blue flames. Three lamps hanging from a wire attached to the trees illuminated a map spread across a wooden table. A young blonde girl in a combat outfit accompanied Ramos. She darted a glare at Ronner, her blue orbs shining with hatred.

"What is he doing here?" she asked, springing from her seat.

"Calm down, Kana. He's with us." Ramos leaned his hand on her shoulder.

"He can not be trusted!" Kana shrieked, clenching her right hand into a fist that began glowing red.

Ronner smirked as he walked toward her. "She's gotten beautiful, hasn't she?" He winked.

Kana aimed her hand at his face. "I'll kill you right here." Her palm sparkled with branches of electricity.

"Enough!" Ramos seized her hand, causing the energy to disappear.

She scoffed, shooting a deathly glare at Ronner before storming away. Ronner smiled at her reaction while Ramos sighed.

"Forgive her attitude, Lieutenant Ronner. She's still a child," Ramos said as he flattened the map in front of them.