13: Prelude Of Pain

Zeo

Gorth came for Zeo early in the morning and took him to the kitchen for his first day of work. His boss was an old lady called Hena, who explained everything he had to do there. It was simple: peeling potatoes, lots of potatoes. He spent all morning doing so with her. A monotonous and slow task, but much better than the slavery he had to endure back in the orphanage.

The delicious smell of food and the skillful display of the cooks made his time more enjoyable. By the afternoon and after lunch, Zeo was allowed to leave the servants' house. Eagerly, he ignored his fatigue and headed to meet his old friend, who had promised to wait for him in the large garden.

In the distance, Zeo recognized the unmistakable black hair and horns he knew so well.

Remnya was standing under a cherry blossom tree. Two violet hummingbirds flapped their wings around her as she smelled the scent of a White Fangs flower in her hand.

Zeo walked toward his friend, and a smile spread across his face when she noticed him. They exchanged looks, greeting each other in silence, and sat on a wooden bench.

A perfumed breeze whistled between them, throwing Zeo's bangs over his glasses. He peeked at Remnya from the corner of his eyes, still unable to believe that cute girl was the same tomboy from the orphanage. The moths in his stomach went wild, making him squirm in his seat.

"Zeo . . . " Remnya said, biting her lower lip. "Tell me about the Nephilims."

Zeo widened his eyes, thrown off by the unexpected question.

"You've always said I was one." She turned to him. "Well, now I want to know more about them."

He took a moment to process her request and then nodded. "What do you want to know?"

"Magenta and Marcus told me I was special, and everyone here treats me as if I was some kind of . . . " Remnya huffed. "What are Nephilims good for, anyway?"

He held his chin, glancing at Remnya's clenched fists around her flower. "Nephilims are stronger, faster, and more durable than humans, and they have special abilities too. Do you remember how fast your wounds used to heal?"

"Magenta doesn't care about that." Rem frowned. "Otherwise, she wouldn't force me to spend hours learning stupid things such as 'what's the right way to arrange tableware?' No!" she shouted, leaning closer, whereas her face was right in front of his.

Zeo met her eyes, feeling the frustration in her. "A pure Nephilim like you is a rare wonder, Rem. After the Blood War, everyone thought Nephilims were extinct, yet here you are. You are indeed special."

"Special, uh?" Remnya squinted at him. "Something has been bothering me ever since I arrived here." She observed two birds chirping on a tree. "There's this girl called Brisa who said Magenta bought me." She curled her lips.

"Bought you?" Zeo remembered the crazy ideas drilling his head for the past few days.

"That's not it! One week ago, this weird man came to the mansion. He seemed to be really interested in me, and in a very weird way!" She gritted her teeth. "You will think this is stupid, but that night, I felt as if Magenta were trying to sell me to him."

A cold shiver ran down Zeo's spine. He froze for a second. "That makes no sense, Rem." He laughed nervously. "Where did you get that from?"

"I don't know, but a lot of things are out of place here." Rem scowled. "I can't leave the mansion at all. Only Mr. Ronner takes me outside sometimes. I barely know the city, and I take private classes instead of going to school." She shook her head and slammed her hands on the bench. "One night, I even found a maid badly beaten in her room!"