70: Childhood

Remnya

Crimson flames illuminated the forest, charring the grass beneath Remnya's feet and revealing the faces of those who wanted her life. The voices of her mind muffled the battle cries of the night as she focused on her endeavor. Even though her life could end, her heart pumped an unbreakable will to live through her veins.

Remnya thought of those who had left the world and lifted her gaze to stare death straight in the eyes.

I won't lose today.

Silence.

A tree collapsed under the flames.

And a Hunter charged at her, closing the distance before she could blink.

Remnya dodged a fist to the face and a kick to the stomach while an energy ball blinded her from the side.

She waited until the last moment to dodge the attack, which hissed by her shoulder and then counterattacked with her fire.

An incandescent snake sparkled with crimson lightning from her right hand.

Her attacker evaded it, but she shot another one from her left hand. The man leaped aside desperately, groaning as the fire burned his arm.

From behind, a woman tried to kick her head, forcing her to block with her forearm. Soon after, a punch reached her jaw, shaking her surroundings.

Tasting blood, Remnya snatched her wrist tightly, and flames erupted from her skin like gas torches.

The woman shrieked in pain as the fire wrapped around her arm and spread to her torso. Remnya recoiled in disgust when the smell of burning flesh reached her nose; it reminded her of Persen.

A lightning bolt impacted her shoulder, pushing Remnya against a tree with a stinging pain on her side. A shadow in the distance prepared another skill, but before it could attack her, Remnya shoved her palms forward, gritted her teeth, and shot a fireball.

When her enemy tried to react, it was too late.

BOOM!

A fire mushroom rose to the sky, and a flaming body flew through the night, falling in the distance. Smoke and embers covered the sky while the ground where her attack impacted glowed like magma.

Remnya rushed to extinguish the fire devouring her enemies, avoiding their deaths, and glared at them. The woman panted while deep burns smoked on her arms and chest. Part of her uniform had turned into ashes, revealing a charred bleeding torso.

However, the masked one was unscathed and smirked at her; only his dark lips were visible. "Impressive," he said. "The rumors about the crimson fire seem to be true."

"Why aren't you attacking?" She scowled as flames intertwined with her hair.

"I didn't want to interrupt your magnificent display of power." He chuckled. "But tell me, why are you holding back?"

"I don't wanna kill any of you," she murmured, clenching her fists. "I just want you to get out of my sight!"

"Is that why my pets are still alive?" He sneered and looked at the woman next to him. "If you don't finish them, I will, for you."

"Pets?" Remnya glared at him, her eyes glowing. "What kind of sick game is this?"

"You could call this their baptism of fire." He giggled, glancing at his other subordinate, who slowly limped away from the ashes with his body falling apart. "Quite literally."

Her fists trembled, and blood boiled in her veins. "You coward! Don't send them to do your dirty job!" She stepped forward and took a defensive stance. "Fight!"