50: Rebirth

Remnya

Remnya woke up past noon and found herself alone in the bedroom. Birds chirped atop an orange tree next to her window while sunbeams seeped through the crystal, warming her body. She remained still with her eyes locked on the ceiling, taking a moment to assimilate her new environment.

The smoke of lavender incense lingered in the air, causing her nose to itch.

Pushing the blanket aside, Remnya jumped off the bed and peeked out the window, witnessing a backyard full of fruit trees and flowers and a dense forest that seemed to surround everything in sight.

Where am I?

Remnya turned to inspect the narrow room. A nightstand rested next to her bed, and on top of it, a small picture frame. Carefully, she took it between her hands and observed the worn photo of a young girl. It had to belong to Debrin, no doubt.

She rushed to put it back in place and continued looking around. Several piles of boxes were scattered on the floor, and in a corner, an ancient-looking wardrobe loomed over her.

Hanging on a wooden chair, Remnya saw a pair of pants and a shirt. She concluded someone had left them there for her since no other person could fit those clothes. Debrin and Merle were huge, taller than Marcus ever was.

Marcus.

Remnya swallowed and clenched her fists, pushing any futile feeling away, and rushed to change her clothes. Surprisingly, they fit her well. The design was plain, but the thread was of high quality. Remnya found a pair of sneakers next to her bed, the perfect size for her feet.

Wearing new clothes for the first time in weeks, Remnya rushed out of the room.

The kitchen looked as cramped as last night, and the smell of fried food refused to leave. But rather than eating, Remnya wanted to explore her new world and discover what kind of fate awaited her outside.

As soon as Remnya opened the door, the fresh, moist air of nature welcomed her with open green arms.

A dirt walkway crossed a corridor of citrus trees and led to what seemed to be the main road. Their hideout was a rustic cottage built with rock and bricks, surrounded by wilderness. Remnya could barely see the horizon through the dense vegetation, yet she spotted nearby mountains half-covered by low clouds.

The song of birds lit the afternoon while the spring sun warmed her pale skin once again. The fresh breeze of nature filled Remnya's lungs with a sense of peace she hadn't felt in a long time. She wandered the place, her mouth half-open in awe.

Without realizing it, Remnya made it to the main road. Half of it remained in the shadows, covered by oaks and pines, but as she advanced, the vegetation opened, revealing a small creek.

Remnya spotted a familiar face.

Debrin Kavram.

He sat on a rock next to a stream of crystalline water. Next to him, there was a mountain of vegetables, ranging from carrots and potatoes to pumpkins. Debrin didn't seem to notice her. He held a knife and peeled carrots in the slowest possible way.

Remnya slammed her feet on dried leaves and stood in the middle of his eyesight.

He tossed a carrot into a bucket with water and grabbed a potato. "Did you sleep well?" he asked, not taking his eyes away from his task.

Remnya nodded and walked closer, raising her right eyebrow at him. "What are you doing?"

"We'll have guests tonight." He twirled the knife in his hand and twisted his lips. "And they eat a lot."