73: Decision

Zeo

The intense light of a lamppost cast a reflective sheen on the car's exterior as Zeo organized Amy's belongings within the trunk. At his side, his friend stared intently at the red sedan, her eyes wide like two green emeralds. In the background, the symphony of crickets serenaded from nearby bushes while a gentle breeze dragged papers and dust over the asphalt.

Amy tapped on the rear window where Stella rested. "Who is this?" Amy asked, scowling at her. "Your girlfriend?"

"Of course not." Zeo slammed the trunk shut and opened the passenger door. "Let's go."

Amy looked at him suspiciously. "Weird!" she said before hopping inside.

Zeo shook his head, closed the door, and stared at Manzur, who sat on a motorcycle across the street. Several presences hid in the shadows, guarding the place. Unfortunately, none of them was allowed to help their lieutenant Ozura.

Manzur waved at one of his men to come and gave him instructions while the rest dispersed into the town. Zeo sat behind the steering wheel and took a deep breath, bracing for what lay ahead.

Amy was poking Stella's cheeks and nose. "Is she dead?"

"No." He grabbed her wrist. "And please, don't do that. She's hurt, so we'll be taking care of her. Okay?"

She nodded and looked out of the window.

Manzur gestured at Zeo, letting him know it was safe to move, and drove away in his motorcycle.

Zeo started the vehicle and thought momentarily, analyzing their route and eventual challenges. Manzur had already given him instructions to find Ozura's hideout. However, he still had to decide where to go from there.

"When we'll go to see Rem?" Amy asked.

"Soon." He reached out for her head to brush her hair. "Meanwhile, be patient, okay?"

"Yes, sir!" She gave him a military salute, making him stifle a chuckle.

Gripping the steering wheel, Zeo adjusted the rearview mirror and stepped on the gas pedal, marking the start of a long journey. He rolled down the windows, allowing Amy to stick her head out of the car to look at the orphanage for the last time. She waved at the old building while Zeo glanced at her, surprised by her mature reaction.

As they took the main road, the street lights slowly disappeared until deep darkness consumed the car. Staring at the white lines on the asphalt, Zeo wondered why Ozura had abandoned her daughter in such a place. Yet he chose not to judge her decision, knowing she had saved both of them from The Hunters.

Boredom took over Amy, and she began touching buttons and asking Zeo about their functions. He answered all her questions, and time seemed to move faster.

There was a short silence.

BOOM!

A flash turned the night into day, blinding him momentarily.

A giant fireball rose from the west, shooting glowing debris-like projectiles into the town. Zeo grabbed the steering wheel with his vectors and hugged Amy, shielding her with his body and covering her ears.

The shockwave reached the car one second later, shaking it violently and shattering the windows.

Amy screamed while glass splinters hit Zeo's body. He stopped the car and held his friend tightly for a moment that seemed to last forever.

The explosion echoed across the land like an endless roar, lingering around them for several seconds, and immense flames erupted like a volcano on the horizon.