53: One Way Journey Home

Zeo

As the waves of life, voices echoed in the midnight of an everlasting dream. Sleepless nights, restless mornings. A caring touch, reaching the depths of a broken soul, trying to persuade a vacant mind.

The same cycle, repeating itself, over and over.

Like a curse, a burden, the weight upon sore shoulders.

But death was never a choice.

Once again, Zeo returned to hell. A familiar fiend who would not abandon his side.

Through a slim opening of his right eye, Zeo glimpsed the blurred face of Maria. She pressed a cold, wet cloth against his head and murmured something through trembling lips.

She looked like a lost angel, searching for her way home.

"Maria," Zeo mumbled.

"Don't talk, please," Maria said in a soothing voice. She was kneeling next to him, dried tears on her cheeks and messy hair, the consequences of several sleepless nights.

Zeo lay on a thin blanket, his back suffering the unyielding stone floor.

Why am I still alive?

Despite the torturous pain, he remained still and took a deep breath before gathering the strength to speak again. "Take a rest. I will be fine,"

Maria didn't seem to hear his voice and kept pressing the cloth against the left side of his face, where his left eye used to be.

Zeo was cold and numb, his life worthless. He had paid the price of his actions. In the end, that was his fate.

"This is just the beginning," Zeo said, "There's no point in trying to help me."

Maria stopped to look at him, her lavender eyes glistening with tears. "Am I supposed to let you die?"

"I won't die," Zeo said like a robot.

Covering her face with blood-stained hands, Maria began sobbing again.

Zeo grabbed her arm tightly. "I've not given up yet."

Maria sniffled and wiped her tears with the back of her hand. "You were gone for twelve days. . ." she mumbled, her voice cracking. "This time, I truly thought you were. . ." She swallowed and shook her head before letting out a squeal of pain and frustration.

"They won't let me die. They need me." Zeo stared deeply into her pupils, witnessing the remains of a broken soul.

Maria averted her eyes, her body shaking.

Zeo caressed her arm and then took her hand between his. "I'm in no position to make promises right now, but," Zeo tightened his lips, holding back a grunt of pain. "I'll do my best to get you out of here."

Maria looked at him tenderly but deprived of life and hope and then returned an empty nod.

His brain questioned his words. But deep down in his heart, Zeo knew it wasn't over yet. Fate had kept him alive for a reason, and he would fulfill his goal before death.

*°*°*

In the morning, the pain had reduced.

Zeo realized his body was quickly adapting to his one-eyed vision. He lay still on the ground staring blankly at the ceiling, wondering if Maria would ever get to see the stars again. She sat next to him, disinfecting the wound, now almost closed.

Scanning Maria from head to toe, he understood such a gentle soul wasn't meant for that world. He twisted his lips and reached for her hand, holding it close to his chest.