Part One Hundred And Nine

“Seriously Ashton? We leave you guys for one night and come back to this!”

Wincing, I rested my head on Destiny’s shoulder, trying to block out the hospital waiting room around me.

“Did she say anything?” Grace demanded, peeking out from beneath Calum’s arm where she had been crying into his chest.

“No,” I muttered, “Not really, I mean, she may have mentioned jumping off a bridge in passing but I figured she meant it, you know, figuratively.”

“Really?” Calum asked, “That’s it? Because I know you and you’ve been nothing but a dick to Jackie since the moment you met her.”

“What are you trying to say?” I snapped.

“What does it sound like?” Calum replied.

“Like I have something to do with this!” I spat, “I’m the one who found her!”

“Ashton, stop,” Destiny muttered, “my heard hurts.”

Tightening my grip around her waist, I pulled her further back on my lap into my chest, kissing the path of skin where her neck met her shoulder gently.

“This is horrible.” Charlie whispered, “Has anyone called her parents?”

“Her Dad’s in jail and her Mom split.” Grace replied.

“Why is he in jail?” Luke whispered.

“Jackie’s brother.” Gabby mumbled, from where she sat quietly in the corner.

“I didn’t know she has a brother.” I said.

“Had,” Grace corrected.

“What happened to him?” Luke asked.

“Their Dad killed him,” Grace said slowly, “He was mad at Jackie and her brother stepped into help and he… well……”

“He pushed him down a flight of stairs.” Gabby finished for her, “He snapped his neck and died before he reached the bottom.”

“That’s awful!” Luke gasped.

Suddenly the door swung open, thinking it was a doctor we all straightened up, however slouched back in our seats at the sight of a man entering the room, carrying a woman on his back who had an arrow sticking through her foot.

Repulsed I looked away, letting my eyes wander instead to Destiny who appeared to be having trouble keeping her eyes open.

“Are you okay?” I asked quietly.

“mmmm?” she replied tiredly.

“When was the last time you took something for your head?” I questioned.

“Don’t know,” she muttered, “Maybe, noon.”

Nodding, I rose to my feet, gently sitting her on the seat where I had previously been sitting.

“Where are you going?” Luke asked.

“To get Destiny something to drink so she can take her medicine.” I answered.

“Get me a water would you?” Jess sighed, tossing me a balled up five dollar bill.

Nodding, I crammed it into my pocket then waited for someone else to make a request, however when they didn’t I left. Making my way through the empty hallways, I looked around for some sort of vending machine, however after twenty minutes, finding only one which was out of order, I made my through the front doors of the hospital and to the McDonalds in the parking lot.