Part Forty-Two

Life is short.

Everyone knows that, we get told those same three words from the moment we're able to comprehend them.

When people die.

When people do bad things.

When people get crazy, hair brained tattoos on their forehead.

But we don't really think about the severity of those words, untilsomething happens, and by then, it's too late.

Everything is awesome! Everything is cool when you're part of a team! Everything is awesome when we're living our dream!

"Luke....." I groaned, rolling over in bed, "Luke your phone is ringing."

A soft snore left Luke's slightly parted mouth.

"Luke!" Michael grumbled, from where he had fallen asleep on the couch, "Get your lazt ass up and turn then dumb thing off!"

Calum, who had crashed at the end of Luke's bed, curled up like a cat, smacked him lazily on the leg, "Luke, buddy get your phone."

Everything is awesome! Everything is cool when you're part of a team! 

"Oh my God, LUKE!" Michael yelled.

Nothing.

"Holy shit, I'm going to kill him," Michael grumbled, "Ash, just asnwer it."

"I can't answer his phone." I replied.

Everything is awesome! Everything is cool when you're part of a team! 

"Yes you can, it's probably some save the puppy foundation he donated to after crying over the comercial." Calum groaned.

Sighing, I tossed off my covers and shivering as the chilly, New York air hit my bare chest, I stepped over Destiny who was curled up on the floor next to mine and Luke's beds, and fumbled around on the nightstand for the phone.

Everything is awesome when we're living our dream!

"Turn it off!" Michael snapped.

"I'm trying!" I replied, knocking Luke's glass of water to the floor.

"Shit!" I whispered flicking on the lamp, and earning vampire like hisses from Calum and Michael from the brightness.

"Oh my God, turn it off!" Michael cried.

"Sorry!" I whispered, grabbing Luke's phone and unblugging the lamp instead of bothering to find the switch.

Scanning the caller I.D. and not recognizing the number, I sighed and pressed it to my ear.

"Hello?" I said groggily.

"Is this Luke?" a crying woman asked on the other end.

"Um, no," I replied, figuring it was a hysterical fan.

"Is this the wrong  number?" the woman questioned.

"No," I sighed, feeling bad, "I'm just answering his phone, this is Ashton."

"oh," the woman managed, between shaky breaths, "Well, can....can you tell him that....that....um.....oh God..... can you have him call me back."

"Sure," I replied, softly, "I'll tell him."

"Thank you." she whimpered, and then the call ended.

"Who was that?" Calum whispered, the only other one in the room awake, since Michael had fallen back alseep.