One Hundred And Five

“I invented him! Without me, he’d probably hanging out with the freaking mathletes, in the hideous purple shirt and then he stabs me in the back like…. Like…. Like….”

“Ceaser?”

“Yeah!” Michael cried, “Like ceaser! Wait, the monkey or the dude?”

“The dude.”

Sighing, I slid down the wall and buried my head in my hands.

“I am so sorry,” Jay whispered.

“It’s fine,” I muttered, “You didn’t know.”

“What are you going to do?” Harry mumbled.

“I don’t know,” I sighed, “I guess…. Tell them.”

“No, Ashton, don’t!” Harry pleaded.

“I think it’s for the best,” I mumbled rising to my feet.

“I feel like this is all your fault.” Jay whispered.

“It’s not.” I assured him, “It’s mine, I have to go take care of this.”
“You’re sure you won’t change your mind?” Harry asked.

“I’m sure,” I sighed.

“Well then in that case,” Harry mumbled, “Good luck.”

“Thanks,” I muttered, “I’ll need it.”

Taking a deep breath I pushed the door to the boy’s bathroom open and walked inside. Immediately, Luke, Calum and Michael stopped talking, turning to glower in my direction.

“What the hell do you want?” Michael snapped, “You want break my fingers so I can’t play guitar? Maybe punch me in the face, you’ve already done it metaphorically.”

“No,” I whispered, “I um…. I just wanted to say, I’m sorry. You’re a good guy Michael, all of you, you’re the best thing that’s ever happened to me so I’m sorry.”

Michael looked down at the ground.

“And,” I sighed, “I um…. I wanted to say goodbye.”

“What?” Calum demanded, “Why?”

“I’m going back home.” I replied.

“No!” Luke cried rising to his feet and running at me, pulling me into a bone crushing hug.

“Luke,” I sighed, “I think it’s for the best.”

“No it’s not!” he sobbed, clutching my shirt, “We’re not a band without you! We’re three idiots with two guitars and a bass!”

“Luke,” I mumbled, trying hard not to cry, “You’ll find another drummer.”

“I don’t want another drummer.”

“Get Devine to do it.”

“I don’t want Devine I want you!”

“Luke, please,” I whispered, blinking rapidly.

“Luke you can’t make him stay.” Calum muttered, prying Luke off of me.

“So that’s it?” I asked.

“No!” Luke sobbed.

“I’m sorry,” I repeated, before leaving the bathroom and my band.

~

If you love me let me go.

Startling awake, I looked down at my phone, sighing at the sight of Luke’s name flashing across my screen, I took a deep breath before answering.