Part Seventy-Six

“What’s wrong with her?”

“Luke honey, I don’t know.” Liz sighed, staring straight ahead at the clock in the hospital waiting room.

Burying my head in my head hands I tried to get the horrific mental picture of Minnie being poked and prodded and given CPR by the people in the ambulance. They hadn’t taken long to get to the bus since they were in the area of where we were parked, but it was long enough for her to turn blue.

Feeling sick I straightened up and wiping my moist eyes on the hem of my sleeve, looked around the room. Charlie and Michael were trying to talk to Destiny, Calum was trying to calum Luke down with Liz and I was alone.

I don’t know why I said what I did to Destiny, it was like all my insecurities just came out at once before I could stop them, growing meaner and meaner until I told her I didn’t even love her and now I had nothing, I broke my girlfriend’s heart, Minnie could be dying, and all my friends hated me.

“What is wrong with me?” I whispered.

“You’re a cock.” Calum replied.

“Thanks, I didn’t know that already!” I spat.

“Just thought I’d remind you.” He answered with a shrug.

“Boys don’t even start.” Liz sighed.

“What if she dies?” Luke croaked out of the blue, “What if she’s dead right now?”

“Luke don’t think like that.” Liz replied.

“But Mom, that’s not normal!”

“Baby’s have seizures sometimes Luke, it happens.” Liz sighed.

“She stopped breathing!” Luke cried.

“Luke, you have to stay positi….”

“Positive my ass!”

“Luke!”

“No Mom, maybe if Ashton wasn’t being such a dick and actually taking care of her…..”

“Luke Robert hemming stop it!” Liz snapped.

“He’s right.” I whispered, “I knew there was something wrong with her.”

“Ashton,” Liz sighed, “I wouldn’t have thought this was going to happen, no one expected you to k….”

Suddenly a door swung open, interrupting her and a doctor walked in.

“How is she?” I demanded, rising to my feet.

“Mr. Irwin?” he asked.

“Yeah.” I answered.

“Are you the baby’s father?”

“Um…. No, it’s uh…. It’s complicated.” I answered.

“Are you his mother?” he asked Liz.

“Uh, no, I’m his Mom,” she sighed, gesturing to Luke, “But that’s not actually important, how is she?”

Nodding the doctor took a deep breath, “I’m afraid I have some, bad news.”

“What?” I demanded.

“Well, I’m getting to that.” He sighed, “Charlotte, how can I explain this so you’ll understand, she has a heart defect.”

“What does that mean?” I demanded.

“Basically her heart doesn’t do what it’s supposed to,” he replied, “So when she contracted the virus she has now, it put quite a strain on her, her brain didn’t get enough oxygen, which is what caused the seizure.”