Part Ninety-Eight

We are all given choices in our life, every day, every hour, every minute.

Which restaurant do you want to go to?

How many inches should I trim off?”

Paper or plastic?

Do you want fries with that?

It’s endless.

We make so many decisions we don’t even realize we’re making them.

But we remember the big ones, after they happen, for the rest of our life, wondering what if?

~

Pulling my hood over my head I looked up at the rain filled sky as I made my way into the hospital.

We had decided to take it in shifts, sitting with Michael and waiting for him to wake up. Luke in the morning, then Calum, Jess Des, then me.

Wiping off my vans on the front mat, I smiled at the receptionist, Brenda, who normally gave me a mint as I passed and talked about her granddaughter who loved our band, however she was on the phone, before making my way over to the decrepit old elevator and getting inside.

Pulling off my hood, I pressed the button for the second floor then waited, listening to the faint, jazz music playing over the speakers.

Reaching the second floor with a ding the doors slid open and I stepped out onto the all too familiar floor, the strong scent of cleaner almost dull to my nostrils after smelling every day for nearly a week.

Shoving my hands into my pockets I made my way to Michael’s room. Taking a deep breath and trying to calm the flutter of hope in my chest, that today would be the day he walk up, I pushed the door open.

Unsurprisingly, Michael hadn’t moved so much as an inch. Letting out a breath I didn’t know I’d been holding I shuffled into the room, my eyes wandering to Destiny who was sitting on the window seat watching something on her phone with her ear buds in.

Not having said a word to her in nearly a week, I shuffled forward, towards the chair beside Michael’s bed where I would sit for the next four hours, however I froze halfway, realizing that Destiny was crying.

Not surprised since the girl cried at the drop of the hat, but also not so much of an asshole that I was going to leave her there sobbing, I made my way over to her, coming up behind her, however as I reached out to prod her shoulder, I froze, looking over her shoulder at the video on her screen.

It was one of the two of us on Keek. We had been trying to bake a cake while dancing to Time-Bomb by all time low when Michael had snuck up behind us and filmed us. My heart twisting in my chest I watched as she walked up behind me, wiping my backside with a dishrag. Whirling around, I smeared frosting on her nose which she had tried to lick off, before I wiped it off with my finger and kissed her on the nose.

Laughing, through her tears, Destiny dabbed at her eyes as the video vanished, however seeing me behind her, reflected in the screen she spun around suddenly, her eyes wide.

“Sorry,” I said quickly, “Taking a step back, I didn’t mean to scare you.”

“No, no, it’s fine,” she answered forcing a smile, “I was just… startled, that’s all.”

Nodding, I watched as she brushed her hair behind her ear awkwardly before rising to her feet and cramming everything into her backpack.

Straightening up, a notebook fell from her hands to the floor. I bent down to pick it up however so did she, resulting in us whacking heads.