Chapter 43

Kit blanched as he realised he might have just caused the death of his best friend's mate. He pointed to the entrance which was currently in flames, his hand trembling. "Why-why has he gone in there?", he asked in a weak voice to no one in particular. He swallowed hard and unconsciously walked towards the collapsed building. "Maybe I can get him out of there?", he whispered to himself and he was instantly stopped by Ming who exclaimed: "Where do you think you are going??" Kit turned to look at him with desperation in his eyes: "I didn't know he was going to enter the facility, Ming. I didn't! I swear!!" Ming hugged him and said: "I know, love. We all know that you are not to be blamed." Kit hugged him back and Knock passed by him, patting his head as he said: "When I am here, there is nothing to fear about fire, right?"

He walked towards the aflame entrance and roared as he changed into a dragon shifter. A quite big dragon shifter. Dragons were impervious to fire. Well, at least most dragons. Knock was among the ones who did not have enough control on fire. Hopefully, he could help though. Adrestia whispered as he rubbed the devastated Beam's back: "See? Knock has gone inside.. He is going to help Forth." He then asked Prem: "Throw a camouflage spell.. we are doomed if someone sees a dragon shifter here.." Prem turned to look at him incredulously: "How am I supposed to camouflage a eight foot tall dragon?? That's nearly impossible on my own.." Slate rolled his eyes. "Those children can never do something without me huh?" Adrestia nodded at Korn to take his place besides Beam. They would not be foolish enough to leave him alone now. Adrestia then moved along with Prem to make the spell.

Korn touched Beam lightly, subtly trying to calm him but Beam winced absently as Korn's hand accidentally hit his nape. His eyes widened as he realised that his tattoo was burning. He got up on his feet hastily, nearly falling if Korn had not held him up and asked: "The tattoo!! Please! Tell me what's happening with it?" Korn saw the tattoo flashing up blue light and then the light started to dim. The tattoo started to fade away. Beam asked again, shaking Korn: "Tell me, Korn!" Wad came to them, seeing Beam cry out in panic and said: "Your tattoo is fine." Korn turned to look at Wad who shook his head and said telepathically: "Don't make him more scared." Korn sighed and said to Beam: "He is right. The tattoo looks okay." But the tattoo was not fine at all as Korn continued to watch it. It was halfway gone.

Beam trembled as he looked at the collapsed building again. He knew that they were lying to him. He could feel the burning decreasing and he knew his tattoo was fading away. He closed his eyes and tried to contact his mate: "Forth?" But there was no answer. In fact, he did not want to admit to himself but the telepathic path was cut off. Forth had either cut it off on his own or he was really dead. Beam shook his head. It could not be. "You are my soulmate. I freely offer my heart, my body and my soul to you. I give my allegiance and loyalty to you. I offer you my life. I love you. For now and forever." The words that Forth offered to him on the mating ceremony came to his mind. He clenched his fists in anger. "You promised me your life, Forth!!", he shouted to his mate telepathically, tears running on his face. "You cannot leave me now...", he then whispered to himself desperately.

His brother rushed over and asked him gently: "What's wrong? I could sense your distress." Beam instantly turned to him and said: "Forth, P.. He went into that building.. I cannot sense him anymore.." P'Waii frowned. Korn explained the current situation to him and Rome who came with Waii asked in a terrified voice: "But he can't be dead, right?" Beam nodded and hugged Forth's little brother. He whispered: "He is not.. He won't leave us" Rome hugged him back, both trying to support each other. Korn watched the debris too and asked Knock who was inside: "Status?" Knock replied: "Have not seen him yet." Korn frowned: "I don't like the tone of your voice. How is it going on inside?" But Knock did not reply him. Waii suddenly asked Beam: "Is he wearing your life source?"