The Male Best Friend Being Overprotective

It’s the fourth of July. So happy 4th to the American lovelies. And happy day to all the other lovelies!

I know that I’m always cold. It’s just me. I’ve always been that way. I wear jackets all year round, but I kid you not, tonight was cold. So I’m here trying to warm up and fall asleep so I can go to work tomorrow and thought I’d rant.

So tonight, let’s continue the series and talk about: The Male Best Friend Being Overprotective

Am I the only one that doesn’t find it cute when the male best friend tries to do everything for the female MC?

Like, I read these stories and the MC gets her heart broken by some major douche and the best friend is like “I’m going to go kick his ass for hurting you. He’s dead.” And then he goes and has a confrontation with the ass who broke little MCs heart.

But she doesn’t do a damn thing for herself.

And it’s supposed to be this gallant act of love and such, but it’s kind of annoying honestly. I don’t find it cute. Maybe it’s because I’ve always been an insanely independent person, but I like handling my relationship problems on my own.

When I got my heart broken the first time I was really upset. I was fifteen and I was stupid and I was heartbroken. But my best friend didn’t even really ask about what happened. He knew if I wanted him to know, I’d tell him.

And instead of assuming I couldn’t take care of my little self, he let me do what I do best and handle it on my own. Occasionally he’d ask if I was okay or if I needed anything and mostly what I wanted him to do was let me rant about how dumb I can be.

Because my ex wasn’t anything but a mental threat so there was no reason to go beat him up. It was just an emotional break and he knew I could take care of myself. There was no need to blow things out of proportion.

Case closed. He didn’t have to take over my life.

Now, I’ll admit, he does have his moments. And on rare occasions I think it’s sweet, but I never let him just dominate me. I can do things for myself.

For example, despite the fact that I am one of the most boring people on Earth, I’ve had a total of four (yes, you read that right, four (4)) stalkers in my lifetime. The first one was harmless. The second was a little more aggressive. The third was kind of scary. And the fourth has been a nightmare.

These guys have this thing for me, simply because I’m nice to them. And the last two have been very, very insane. They show up at my work, at my house, at my dad’s, at my favorite restaurant. Anywhere they think I might be.

They are insane stalkers. And the fourth one has been breaking into my car and house and it’s just a mess.

And obviously people worry about it, because one of them does suffer from a mental disorder and I’m a very tiny, sick person, so there’s not a lot I can do to overpower a man that’s almost three times my size, right?

So it makes sense that my best friend worries about it. I mean, I live alone. I can call him when I have a scary run in, but he lives eight hours away. There’s not a lot he can do.

But instead of deciding that I can’t do anything for myself, he’s been really diligent in teaching me all sorts of little tricks to get me out of trouble (and he learned some of the things he’s taught me on the streets, so you know it’s some legit shit).

 Y’know how people like to say “I can kill a guy with my thumb”. I seriously can. Not even exaggerating.

He used to spend a lot of time at a gym with coaches that were training him like a UFC fighter, but he’s taught me a lot of self-defense from that. And he lets me beat up on him for practice when he’s here, so I can pretty much hold my own, despite being so small.

But the point is, he doesn’t think he has to do everything for me. Yes, these crazy stalkers are a LOT bigger than me, but he’s teaching me to take care of myself, not rely on him to take care of all my problems.

So can we please stop letting these male best friends take over the MCs life? She doesn’t need a man.

He can watch out for her. He can be there for her. But how about we make her independent?

How about we make female MCs that can take care of herself?

Like I’ve said before, supporting characters are there for support.

I’m just really tired of this shit. Calm down with the idea that men are awesome. They are. But so are women. Everyone is awesome, okay?

C’mon ladies. Yes, it’s fun to have male best friends. But it’s not fun when they treat you like you’re helpless.

Don’t let your female MC be helpless.

And since I still feel obligated to tell you something entertaining, here’s the story of the rant (and it kind of coincides with it too).

One night, my best friend and I were in our kitchen and he was teaching me some boxing techniques. And his younger brother was staying with us that night, so when he got off work, that’s what we were doing. Boxing. Literally boxing.

But, he’s led a pretty sheltered life (and the poor kid doesn’t understand euphemisms), so he told all our coworkers the next day that he got home he caught us wrestling.

And he still, to this day, does not understand why I was so horrified when he said it. (And if you don’t know why, it’s because “wrestling” tends to be a euphemism for having sex. So now people think that’s what we were doing in the kitchen, but we weren’t. We were boxing. Do you see the dilemma? It’s been really awful trying to explain that one.)