The Human Body

I've got a few minutes, let's rant.

Y'all are about to find out how weird I am with this topic: The Human Body

So, if you read "The End of All Things", you know I have this strange obsession with hands (but not feet. I'm literally scared of feet.) Also, I have a very keen interest in the human body.

And it's really not that sexual.

I grew up in gyms. I watched people work out all the time and I've developed this intense fascination with muscles and tendons and skin and such.

So, it kind of annoys me when people are simply described as "pretty", or "ugly", or "hot", or "sexy".

Does no one but me realize how subjective those words are? I find Ryan Gosling hot. I do NOT find Channing Tatum attractive. I find Alison Krauss to be absolutely beautiful. I do NOT think Megan Fox is drop dead gorgeous. And there are literally thousands of people out there who will argue with me about my opinions. (There's gonna be another rant about this, promise).

In all actuality, I love my obsession with human bodies. Why? Because they tell me so much more about a person than those four words up there.

I like the way that people talk with their hands. I like how they use their hands to give a comforting pat or a demeaning signal. I like the way their fingers move on their own and send backs of hands into a tizzy. I like how knuckles can change colors.

I remember when I saw the age spots on my dad's hands. They seemed to appear overnight and one day when I was eighteen I noticed them. And that night, I sat in my room and cried. I tried to pass it off as just being a rough and hectic day, but that had nothing to do with it. I cried, because hands don't lie. My dad is getting old and that killed me.

(You see. I seriously have this strange obsession with hands).

But the thing is, no one uses bodies in their stories other than to say "oh he has a hot body."

Bodies are so much more than that. 

Jaws clench. Knees buckle. Stomachs tighten. Shoulders quiver.

When Panic! At the Disco came out with the music video for "Girls/Girls/Boys" everyone was stoked because "OMG, BRENDON IS NAKED!"

And I was stoked because "Holy hell. Check out the way his temple is so defined when he makes that face.", or "dear Heavens, look at the folds of skin between his shoulder blades. Check out the definition. Look at the way his ribs are outlines. Do you see how his spine almost quivers?"

I get tired of everyone saying how they feel. "I'm angry." Well, why aren't you're muscles tensed. Why didn't your fists ball up? Why are your toes not curling?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, the body betrays so many things.

It's holding back a soul.

Under the skin blood rushes through the veins and the muscles and tendons bind to the bones. And that's incredibly beautiful, because along with all that is a soul. There's a personality. There are opinions. Hopes. Dreams. Beliefs. Values. And yet no one can see those.

They just see skin.

So the body says a lot.

Let it speak for your characters.

I'll put the video to the side. Try to see what his body is telling you. It's not just "c'mon, let's go hop in bed." There's desperation. There's mystery. There's hurt. There's anger. Catch the moments when the muscles, the skin, the tendons, the veins, EVERTHING betrays those emotions.

Then try to replicate that in your descriptions. It'll be beautiful. I promise!

Sorry it was short and unproductive. I'm short...and unproductive.

And feel free to share your opinion below!

Love,

Addy!!! XOXOXOXOXO