Siblings

People used the think my brother and I were twins and they always said we looked exactly alike and I never knew whether or not to be offended. Like, were they saying I looked really manly or that he was really effeminate? Who knows. Maybe both! Gasp.

Anyway, for once my intro had something to do with my chapter, because today, we will be talking about, you guessed it: Siblings!

I wanted to discuss this, because I only see one kind of sibling on Wattpad: the enemy. Maybe it's just the stories I've read or something, but it seems to me that siblings are always in the midst of hating each other and that makes me sad. So I thought I'd make a list of three different kinds of siblings I'd like to see more in stories. Here you go:

1. Best Friends

Not long ago my brother asked if he could be promoted to my best friend in the event that my best friend gets promoted to husband. I said yes. It was exciting.

But seriously, I don't think you guys understand how close we are. He told me he wants me to be his best man if he gets married and he wasn't kidding. I talk to him every day. I've never gone 24 hours without at least texting him. We plan weekends around getting to see each other. We plan lunch dates sometimes. You could say we're pretty tight.

I always see siblings in Wattpad stories that absolutely hate each other, but I want to see some that are best friends! Siblings are the best people to make friends with because very few people will be able to understand you in the way a sibling does.

Sometimes I see people defend their choice to have the siblings in their stories hate each other by saying it's unrealistic to have siblings be close. But in my life, and all the people I've known, they've at least somewhat liked their siblings. I've only met two people that absolutely hated their siblings (one of them, I didn't know she was a twin until she showed me a picture and I asked why she never told me she had a sister and her exact words were "Because I hate that bitch". That made me sad but I also found it kind of funny, because they're twins. Identical twins.)

I couldn't imagine hating my brother. My brother and I hung out together on weekends when we were in high school. His friends were my friends. My friends were his friends. Hell, I dated his best friend and he was totally cool with it. He dated a girl that was my friend and I was cool with it. He didn't party, but he'd pick me up if I needed a ride home from one. He didn't go to ball games, but he'd give me rides to and from them when I couldn't drive.

He was the coolest, because he'd take me out when I was fourteen and fifteen and let me drive his truck on back roads when no one else was around. We'd drive through fields and shit. It was awesome. And he'd always take me out for midnight snacks and pay. I had an awesome older brother.

He was always on my side no matter what. He would be mad at the same people I was mad at. He hated the guy that I had the really complicated relationship with. And I did the same for him! We always supported each other.

Of course, that's not to say we didn't have our differences. I mean, I get it, you don't always have to get along all day every day. Siblings, like friends, parents, teachers, acquaintances, etc. have moments when they can irritate you. Everyone does. That's okay. I'm not saying your characters have to like their siblings all the time, but for once, I'd like to see them actually like their siblings. That's my suggestion. Stop the hate. Spread the love.

2. Opposites/Competition

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of using siblings for conflict. You have to have a reason to have a character, right? And conflict is essential to a story. My point is that I don't want their hatred for each other to be the only conflict. I'm tired of that one.