Student/Teacher Stories

Someone told me they just enjoy reading these rants because they like to tally up all the horribly cliché things I've done in my life. Now I feel like you guys just read them to see my latest startling confession about how my life is the plot out of a book on the "What's Hot List".

So I think you'll enjoy this one, because we get to add another cliché to the list in this rant about: Student/Teacher Stories

But the jokes on you, because I dated him in college, so ha! It wasn't high school, we were both consenting adults, and it ended great (and my university doesn't have a strict policy against it, so we were cool). I'm taking one of his classes next semester, so suck it! It's not cliché. I have done something not cliché, someone congratulate me.

And I haven't done this rant yet, because 1) I thought they were on their way out (and I've been informed they are making a comeback? I dunno, I listen to you guys) and 2) I feel like people won't like my suggestions. Because what do I know? Nothing.

(Also it sounds like I'm promoting teacher/student relationships, but I swear I'm not. I'm trying to make them realistic, because this shit happens and it's not another thing we need to sweep under the rug and ignore, because it's weird and taboo. It's wrong, but that's no reason not to explore it correctly).

Anyway, here are some things to think about if you want to write one of these. A lot of people find them gross, but I think if you explored a different aspect besides just the romance it would be less eww and more thoughtful. It might actually be a really thrilling tale. So, if you decide to take me up on any of this, let me know how it goes. Hell, leave the link to it in the comments and I'll read it!

So, let's get to the list:

1. There will be legal consequences

That's the biggest thing. You guys realize that it's highly illegal for teachers to date their students in high school, yes? The age difference alone is enough to qualify for statutory r*pe. It's also considered an abuse of power, because teachers are an authority figure. Some people have argued that their character is eighteen so it doesn't matter, but I get to educate you on this.

Public schooling systems including elementary, middle, and high schools adhere to (and correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't taken a government class in almost six years) in loco parentis, which is Latin for "in place of a parent" (in the states, anyway). So this, as my US history teacher explained in high school all those years ago, basically means "who's you're daddy? The school." Schools act as legal guardians of students, so it does not matter if the child is eighteen. Having an inappropriate relationship between a student and teacher will always be illegal in this kind of establishment. (It's also why they can deny you some of your constitutional rights, because you are their property, essentially.)

And because I know that I'm going to have people yelling at me because of what I said before the rant, I'll say it again. I was in my twenties when I dated a professor at a University without rules for student/teacher relationships. There were no consequences except ethical ones, so boom. Consenting adults at college, not high school. Sorry. (Also, I don't recommend at all. I still think dating a teacher is weird and no student should ever do it. Learn from me.)

For once, I'd like to read a story about the legal consequences, though. Think how interesting that would be. Go John Grisham on it! Seriously. And if you do, leave the link in the comments. I seriously, very badly want to read this.

2. The age difference will be a barrier

I'm telling you, there is a huge difference between sixteen and eighteen, and eighteen and twenty (for most people). No, I'm not one of those people that thinks age gaps over four years are gross. Hell, the professor I dated was seventeen years my senior. Age doesn't throw me off that much anymore.