Cliché Conflicts

Aww, you guys. This rant has over 9,000 reads! Thank you all so much! Hugs for everyone!

I’m trying to get as many written and posted as I can while I have a little spare time, so let’s just get started with this topic: Cliché Conflicts.

Okay, so I know I already sorta covered some clichés in the very first chapter, but someone suggested that one of the most helpful things I could do would be to simply list plots/characters that are now viewed as clichés, so writers know what to avoid.

Some of these topics I’ve already expanded on and some of them I’ve yet to get to, so if you have any questions about how to maybe twist a cliché, find that chapter or leave me a comment! I’d love to try to help.

So with the help of some friends, I’ve compiled some lists of the top ten clichés in different categories (and discovered that my life is a Wattpad cliché…). And these will be by topics so it’s more organized.

General Clichés

1.       Best friends fall in love

2.       MC has troubled past (experience of Physical, Sexual, or Psychological abuse)

3.       MC faces some sort of mental hardship (eating disorder, depression, suicidal tendencies, etc.)

4.       Love triangles

5.       MC lives with all males

6.       “Misfit” girl becomes “popular”

7.       Good girl falls for bad boy (by Wattpad standards of “bad”)

8.       MC has to be saved by a guy

9.       Student/Teacher relationships

10.   Falling in love with a rapist

(You have no idea how dumb I felt when I realized that eight and a half of those are my life (I won’t tell you which ones, y’nosies). I, Addy, am a cliché. I’m a goddamn cliché. It’s offensive but it’s also not. At least people have a love/hate relationship with my life, right? Moving on.)

Werewolf and Vampire (sorry I combined these, but c’mon. Gimme a break. I’m a damn cliché.)

1.       Rejection stories

2.       Being the alpha’s mate

3.       Being the “king” vampire’s mate

4.       Love at first sight

5.       Vegetarian vampires