Continuation on Subtle Clues

I was going to edit on my lunch break, but lately people have been asking me how this one turned out, so this is a little less of a rant and more of a

Continuation of Subtle Clues

That crazy girl stopped coming around so often since the rant (and I only work weekends now, usually) so I didn't see her for a long time until back in November, which was perfect timing for my best friend's joke, I guess.

As a lot of you probably know by now, I was incredibly sick then and I looked like hell and it was just a pretty rough time.

And my best friend has always been really helpful, so he was helping me carry my trays and stuff, and making sure I was feeling okay and giving me breaks when I needed them and all that boring jazz.

Anyway, so the crazy girl finally came in on a Saturday night and immediately became very interested in why he was particularly interested in me that night, so he had an easy time picking up right where he left off.

While seating her he said something along the lines of "wow, I haven't seen you in a few days. Or has it been months? Time has a way of stopping for me."

So she jumped right in again, ordering her garlic bread and whatnot.

I was cold, so I was wrapped pretty tightly that day so she couldn't see the rest of my bruises, but when I brought out her garlic bread, she noticed the huge bandaid on my hand (where the nurses insisted on drawing blood every damn day) and asked me what happened.

And I'd been asked that so often it was just reaction when I said that I'd been sick. (Little did I know how much she would read into that.)

She was already looking for signs, so she noticed how I was smaller and really weak and she did the math herself.

Weak Addy + Giant Bandaid on Hand = Vampire Best Friend

So, she ate slowly and when I asked if she needed a refill or anything she asked me straightforward: "Did he do this to you."

Well, unfortunately for her, I stay committed to my roles, so I had a couple of tricks up my sleeve. I just stared at her as blankly as I could manage (which was easy, because I felt pretty dead as it was) and said "I can't remember, but I know I'm not allowed to say."

Ironically (because as you know, timing has never been my thing), after I said that, my best friend came over to me, shook his empty water bottle (with little drops of red food coloring in the bottom), and told me that it was empty, like it was my job to fill it up.

If he would have gone close enough to the crazy girl, she probably would have stabbed him with her pencil. I swear, she looked like she was going to try to "wolf-out" right there in the middle of the restaurant.

So we laid low the rest of the night, because I'm pretty sure she had every intention of trying to save me.

But, there is a moral to this story: supporting characters can be part of the subtle clues.

I inadvertently opened the door by telling her I had been sick (apparently ill with vampire poison or something).

Another example is when I went to Chicago for a week and my regulars asked where I was. For whatever reason, my best friend very seriously told them he'd killed me and they laughed like he was joking. But he's really, really good at jokes if you haven't noticed.

Then when they asked another waiter there where I was he said I was in Heaven (which we define as anywhere that isn't work). But you see how well that played in and he didn't even know what he was doing.

He just meant I didn't have to work, so I must have been in Heaven. They thought he meant I was dead. They did the math too.

Missing Addy + Supposedly in Heaven = Best Friend Killed Her

Then, when I got back, I missed a few days from being sick.

So a bunch of my regulars seriously started believing that my best friend had killed me.

See, it's not just about dropping clues in one place. It's how other characters react to clues too.

It's how everything is sewn together and subsequently unstitched.

Sorry I haven't ranted lately. I haven't written anything, really. Just been editing something I wrote when I was in the hospital a couple of weeks ago. So I have to go back to work now...but I'll see you all soon!