Being Rude for the Hell of It

The other day a professor asked who was known for their war horses and I came very close to shouting Rohan. I’ll admit, I’ve spent some time watching LOTR (and Star Wars...and Pearl Harbor...and Forrest Gump...and Titanic), because I’m sick and have insomnia. Sue me.

But I’m not here to talk about that. Let’s talk about: Being Rude for the Hell of It

Why do people find it so hard to be polite? Honestly, why? Please. Thank you. You’re welcome. Those are some of the easiest words to say and yet people don’t know how to use them.

I seriously get made fun of all the time, because I say thank you after everything and that’s sad to me. It shouldn’t be strange that I try to be polite. Everyone should try it.

(Some of you are shocked that I'm nice in person, aren't you?)

There is never, under any circumstances, a reason to be rude to someone. I don’t care how rude they are to you first. I don’t care what they’ve done to you or the ones you care about. I don’t fucking care.

Treat others like you want to be treated.

Why do people try to be rude just for the hell of it? Do people honestly find joy in trashing people? I think it’s called “trolling” or something stupid like that. Why the hell would anyone want to do that? I’ll never understand, kids. Never.

Now I’m gonna tell you a story (because my best friend is highly stressed and hasn’t slept in days, so I don’t want to bother him with it. I’ll bother y’all instead and give you a lesson in courtesy.)

Usually, I wouldn't do this, but I’ll tell you what happened to me on the other writing site that I frequent.

For those of you that don’t know already, this rant, Pretty Little Bones, and another thing is also posted there as well as a personal email address where people can message me for critiques and such. And I know two or three of the people over there personally, so I guess there is some more (classified) information that gets circuited.  

But some girl that I don’t know decided she didn’t like me for whatever reason and she took it upon herself to make a public fiasco on my message board. And I have no idea who she is or where she came from or why she doesn’t like me.

It started when I sent a public message to everyone apologizing for my absence and promising to start getting my critiques done as soon as I felt better.

She apparently did not like this and decided to tell me that I’m very rude for making people wait and I was selfish because hospitals let you have computers so obviously I was just lying because I didn’t want to do the critiques I’d promised to do.

And I guess she was right. It is rude of me to make people wait. So I simply told her I was sorry to make everyone wait and that I like to give my full attention to people and their work, which I couldn’t do because I was sick.

Then she started asking me what was wrong with me and that’s just something I really don’t talk about in public. I would never wish for anyone to have to go through what I’m dealing with right now, so I don’t share. I DON’T want to burden others. They don’t deserve it at all. They have their own battles to fight. They don’t need to fight mine.

I told her it was a personal matter that I wasn’t comfortable discussing. And I apologized, because I always assume I’m to blame and lately I just apologize for everything.

Then one of my friend’s jumped in, which was a sweet gesture, but I absolutely hate how everyone on the internet thinks they need to be in a gang when there’s conflict. I was fine with her not liking me. I was going to let the rude girl have her little rant on my profile so she would feel better, apologize again, then we could both be on our way.