Chapter 4: Friends

Kimber's POV

"Hey fatty?"

"Hey ugly?"

"Hey piggy?"

Those were the things that I heard as I walked to my first period class-AP Calculus, my favorite subject and not just because most of the idiots that teased me decided not to take the class because their brain was too dull, but because math was my favorite subject. It was the only subject that separated me from what others thought of me, and I am not just talking my appearance but also my ethnicity. I am Mexican, Spanish, Wetback was a common name. I was not supposed to be smart, but dumb-stupid and ignorant. And it was commonly known that by my age I should already be pregnant.

As if that was ever gonna happen. Boys paid no attention to me in that way. All they did was call me names.

As I walked into class, the only person whoever spoke to me waved me over to her desk. Katie Cooks-the president of the chess club. She was white with long and wavy red hair and hazel eyes.

"Hey Kimber!"

I squeezed into the chair next to her and smiled. "Hey. Did you understand the homework from last night?"

She nodded. "Yes. Do you want me to explain?"

"Please." I begged.

"Okay do you remember what we learned last year in Precal?" I nodded. "Well its exactly the same, just draw a visual of the right triangle and label the sides with the given info then try to find the other trig ratios."

"Will I use Pythagorean Theorem in some of them?"

"Yes you-"

"That's enough talking Miss. Cooks and Simms! We have work to do. Take out your homework and turn it into the basket! We have a pop quiz!"

On my way out of class Katie did something that she never did before-she walked with me down the hall. She even talked to me and ignored all of the rude comments that people were saying about her because she was with me. I was stunned. When we made it to my locker she smiled at me.

"Do you want to eat lunch with me today?"

I swallowed. "You mean at the table with all of your friends?"

She laughed. "Of course silly!"

"S-s-sure." I stuttered. I had never been invited to anyone's table.

"Okay. Oh and I like your curls today." She became pensive. "They're very curly! Well see ya later!"

"Thanks." I said stupidly when she walked off. I was shocked and speechless- I think that I just made so of a friend, kind of. And I had a compliment made out to me. I could not remember the last time I was ever told something nice. She liked my curls. I liked my curls too. It was my favorite hairstyle.

It all started one day when my mom still loved me and had a job. She bought me a bag of rolllers and curled my hair for my middle school picture. They were cute in my long black hair. I agreed.
The rest of the morning classes I ignored all of the teasing.

I had been learned to ignore it. I had been getting picked on since before I could I remember. And besides I had already decided to kill myself tonight, so why let it bother me now. I was nervous by the time that the lunch bell rang. I actually would not have to go to the library and sneak and eat by the reference books, but I can actually eat with people! Excitement in over drive! Calming myself down!
I saw the chess club sitting at their usual table. Katie saw me and waved me over.

I quickly went to sit at the table next to Katie and a fairly handsome black boy. They had even made enough room for me so I did not have to be uncomfortable and squeeze in.

"Hey." I said my voice a bit shaky.

"Hey! Everyone this is the girl that I have been bragging to you about-Kimber!" Katie announced to the table. "And this," she pointed to a Mexican with glasses is Jose and that," she pointed to a black girl with puffy hair. "is Angela," and finally that" she pointed to the cute black boy beside me, "is Phillip.'

"What's up." he said in a deep voice.

"Hi everyone." I gave them a small wave.

Jose looked at me with serious eyes. "What do you have in that bag?"

"A turkey sandwich and some carrots." I said in a low voice.

"What cho say lil mama?" Jose asked.

"Un a sandwich and some carrots."

Angela smiled. "That sounds rather healthy."

I did not answer-the truth-I was embarrassed. I did not want everyone to know that I was trying to lose weight.

Katie noticed my discomfort and changed the conversation. "Well other than the fact that you are an awesome person, we invited you over here to ask you if you would like to join the Chess Club?"
I coughed-"What? Are you serious?"

Phillip laughed. "Calm down we do not want you to die."

Too late. I thought.

"Yes we are serious. So what did you say?"

"I'll think about it." I smiled.

For the rest of the lunch we talked about everything and anything. It was fun. I learned that Angela's brother was a Marine like my after and that Jose was a foster child and Phillip was a father. It was a lot to take it, but I enjoyed the company of others for once and all of my problems seemed to fade. On the way out of the cafe Katie stopped me. "Meet us in the front of the school tom morrow. That is where we meet to gossip."

"Okay."

She glared. "You better be there. Promise!"

"Alright alright! I promise!"

The rest of the day went by in a blur and at 2:30 I was on my way to the library with high hopes and even higher spirits. Let me go and do my unfair punishment.